• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More VFA/VMFA squadrons to be axed?

Super Hornet 88

I was reading on another forum and one of the guys said that the Navy/Marines were going to get rid of VFA-201,-204(maybe),VMFA-134, and VMFA(AW)-332 I think. Since we are in a time of war, wouldn't make sense to use these squadrons to help out the active duty force? But why do the opposite and get rid of almost every reserve VFA/VMFA squadron? Can anyone else give any info on this?

Thanks,

Daniel

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That's part of a bigger realignment away from reserve aviation in the Navy/Marines. We've realized that reserve squadrons are very inefficient in terms of our current optempo. You can only tap them every so often, and you use a large number of active duty pilots just keeping them trained. Look for their assets to be spread loaded elsewhere, or retired, based on the type of bird.

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Reserve "A" model assets are going to be utilized to replace "C" model jets who are reaching their trap count life blood. "D" model assets from -332 will go to the boneyard since they've reached their useful life.

Larger part of this whole evolution though is the cost of operating aircraft...there simply isn't enough O&M funds available to keep the reserves flying hardware. Big Navy believes that the only real value of the reserves is the people they bring to the fight.

My two cents....

Super Hornet 88

FA-18 Mousse said:
Reserve "A" model assets are going to be utilized to replace "C" model jets who are reaching their trap count life blood. "D" model assets from -332 will go to the boneyard since they've reached their useful life.

Larger part of this whole evolution though is the cost of operating aircraft...there simply isn't enough O&M funds available to keep the reserves flying hardware. Big Navy believes that the only real value of the reserves is the people they bring to the fight.

My two cents....

Wow, I didn't even know the C-model Hornets were almost at the end of their lives for traps. And that -332 is getting rid of their D-models, hasn't the D-model been in service for like 15 years now? I guess that the Navy/Marines must go through Hornet's like crazy. Do I hear the Tomcat and Intruder being brought back hopefully?

-Dan

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Super Hornet 88 said:
Do I hear the Tomcat and Intruder being brought back hopefully?

-Dan

Yeah right, no. That would cost ridiculous amounts of money.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
Quick newb question: what's O&M funds? Operating and Maintenence?
Operations and Maintenance Navy (O&M,N) used to maintain what we have...
and
Other Procurement Navy (OPN) money used to buy new stuff...