• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MOS selection

mike172

GO NAVY
So when is it that you choose what MOS? Also is it on a competative basis? Are the chances of getting SNA,SNFO out of ROTC less? Thanks.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
In the Navy its called a designator... you put in service selection packages in Oct of your 1/c year and find out (in theory) in Dec. How competative it is depends on needs of the Navy for your FY year. As for are the chances of getting aviation out of ROTC less, what is it being compared it to?

mike172

GO NAVY
Compared to say OCS, or Academy.

Are u competing against your fellow mids for slots? If so what factors are taken into acount? grades ect?

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Compared to say OCS, or Academy.

Are u competing against your fellow mids for slots? If so what factors are taken into acount? grades ect?
It is my understanding that the number of slots for USNA and NROTC are about the same. OCS is harder to get because it is intended to fill slots not covered by the other two sources.

Yes, you are competing against your fellow Midshipmen. Everything in the Navy is a competition. Grades, PT scores, aptitude, and your ASTB scores are all taken into account for selection purposes. The exact formula for selection is shrouded in mystery and rumors.

sh89

I don't want to highjack this thread, but I have some related questios:

According to this website http://www.fabjob.com/tips161.html, a 3.0 GPA in college is considered competitive for a pilot slot. Is this true? If not, what GPA in college is competitive for a pilot slot?

Will going to a community college for the first two years(doing well of course), and then going to a NROTC host school with the two year scholarship make you less competitive or not? Or does the Navy only care about grades, your ATSB score, letter of recommendation, etc., rater than if you went to a community college?

nrotcbruin

zippy is correct, in the Navy its a designator and in the Marines its an MOS.
For the Navy side, you submit your service selection package by 10 Nov if you graduate the following spring.

Getting aviation is pretty common at my unit, but I've been hearing that Pensacola is backed up. They didn't project their numbers right. I'm hearing the Marine Corps is hurting for pilots. I know a few Navy guys switching to Marines.

A 3.0 is recommended, to be competetive a 3.3 or above would be more competetive. Also, it depends on your major. A 3.3 in Aerospace Engineering is much more competetive than a 3.3 in History.

For the Community college, I've been hearing from my unit command that getting two year scholarships is really hard. The Navy is being a lot more strict on who gets money for college.

The most important factors for getting a pilot slot are your major, grades, aptitude and your ASTB score.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't want to highjack this thread, but I have some related questios:

According to this website http://www.fabjob.com/tips161.html, a 3.0 GPA in college is considered competitive for a pilot slot. Is this true? If not, what GPA in college is competitive for a pilot slot?

Will going to a community college for the first two years(doing well of course), and then going to a NROTC host school with the two year scholarship make you less competitive or not? Or does the Navy only care about grades, your ATSB score, letter of recommendation, etc., rater than if you went to a community college?

There is not a set GPA that will get you a pilot slot....like was said before, it all depends on the "needs of the Navy/USMC". That being said, I have seen people w/ sub-3.0 GPA's get SNA slots, and people w/ 3.0+ GPA's get turned down. Typically people in non-technical majors have to carry a slightly higher GPA to stay competitive w/ their tech-major counterparts, but that is not a given either. During the last selection cycle at my unit, 4 out of 5 SNA pick-ups were non-tech majors, and a couple of those guys didn't even have the greatest GPA's. So that just goes to show you that it changes from year to year. Study hard and do well in whatever major you have chosen, and there is a good chance that you will be competitive in that area. As for your question about community college time, I have never heard of that making a difference in anyone's package.

Now that I have said that, 3.0 might be a little bit low for being competitive. From what I have seen in my infinite experience :icon_wink is that the most competitive non-tech guys usually have a little higher than that (3.5-4.0), while the most competitive tech guys have GPA's a little more around that number. But like I said before, none of this is solid information that you can take to the bank.

There are a couple guys on here who have been ROTC advisors who might have more experience/advice than I do....plus they might truly know what they are talking about :)

Crowbar

None

Uh, do you really want to get career advice from a site called "FabJobs.com"? At least having a name like "AirWarriors.com" sounds like it is built on the warrior ethos.

You've asked repeatedly about going to a community college. If your family/financial/other situation dictate that you have to go to a community college first, just do it. If you're a superstar it will show regardless. From what I've seen, CC classes are usually a little 'easier' than their university counterparts. I took CC classes for 2 or 3 years before I started 'real' school. I think it helped me out because I had learned what kind of things to expect in classes, relearned study habits, and brushed up on math skills. Of course, missing out on a year or two of NROTC can help set you behind your peers.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Uh, do you really want to get career advice from a site called "FabJobs.com"? At least having a name like "AirWarriors.com" sounds like it is built on the warrior ethos.

You've asked repeatedly about going to a community college. If your family/financial/other situation dictate that you have to go to a community college first, just do it. If you're a superstar it will show regardless. From what I've seen, CC classes are usually a little 'easier' than their university counterparts. I took CC classes for 2 or 3 years before I started 'real' school. I think it helped me out because I had learned what kind of things to expect in classes, relearned study habits, and brushed up on math skills. Of course, missing out on a year or two of NROTC can help set you behind your peers.

good point.....when I came into the NROTC program at my school, I had already done 2 yrs of CC. Being the only 21 yr old in a class of 18 yr old freshmen was a little crappy in the beginning. Use your time in CC to get awesome grades, and there is a good chance that this will give you a good head-start on getting your scholarship. If you get the chance, take your calc and physics requirements there so that you have them done. This will look good when you apply for scholarship. And keep in mind, you DO want a scholarship (I don't care what anyone tells you)....college program is fine for fresh/soph year, but you really need to pick it up these days. This last year there were 0 Advanced Standing positions given out. (AS is the other option to being on scholarship past your junior year in the program) Just something to keep in mind