• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Moving helos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

I've been wondering for some time now... How are helos with skids (such as Hueys and Cobras) moved around aboard the amphibious assault ships? For example, moving them around the deck, or moving them down below deck. Since they dont have wheels, do they have a forklift type thing, or some other sort of contraption that picks them up? Or put a dolly under the skids? Or do they just drag them?

I know its a goofy question, but I'm curious. Thanks

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
either small jack wheels on the skids or a lift unit that goes under the belly and attaches at some point, either on the skids or on the belly. At least that's how it is done with an ES 350, which is on skids.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are ground handling wheels that attach to the skids and then they move them around a slow painful process and you have to hydraulicly pump them up and would you know it the Huey ones dont work on the Cobra and vice versa but it is a small price to pay not to be a "tired" loser (read the rest of naval aviation) just kidding the wheels really are a pain for the maintainers

Grant

I see, thanks guys. Sounds like it would make getting helos topside in a hurry a little difficult.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only time they are below is for maintenacane mostly but yes if one goes down on the spot it takes a littel while to move it out of teh way but the tow crews get very good at it so it doesnt take much longer than an assault to tow onto or off of the spots

Status
Not open for further replies.