• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Music Degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thpage

I'm a trombone performance major at Murray State University (KY). I'm looking at grad-school next year, or HOPEFULLY, going to OCS to be a pilot.

Does anyone, have any advice about what I could do to make myself more desirable to the OCS committee? I have a good GPA (3.52 currently), but this music degree makes me nervous.

I can just see the committee looking at the music degree, laughing, and then passing me up for someone with some sort of tech/science degree. The thing is, I am very good in the science/math areas. If I had not become a music major, I was going to do Mathematics or Chemical Engineering. I've tested out of every math and science course I've been required to take in college. I've looked at the Marine study guide for the ASTB, and think I really should have no trouble with any of that stuff.

I'm really not trying to brag here at all. I just want people to know that music majors aren't necessarily good at only music. It's actually one of the most difficult, most time-intensive majors there is.

Anyway, all this to say, if anyone has any personal experiece or knowledge on this subject, please let me know. I (as I'm sure we all do) just want the committee to let me in. I just want to know what things I could/should do to make myself more desirable to the OCS committee. I want to fly Navy!

Thanks for any wisdom and advise,
Alan

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I really wouldn't sweat it...especially at this point. First up, as others have said in the other post, take the ASTB and go from there. That's one of the big checks in the box. Do well on that, and your GPA will help you. Besides, who cares if they laugh at you? Go for it and regret nothing...just don't talk about about Band Camp
icon_smile_wink.gif

Hudson

Hey 4thpage,
I too was a music major. Trombone Player, but I majored in Conducting. I applied in July at the same time they raised the astb score requirements. Blew me out of the water. I am working on raising my math skills and learning more about the Nautical stuff. Maybe if we get in we can play a few duets. The selection board looks a the whole person. They want people who can work together to accomplish a task. I don't know of any other people but musicians who spend most of their lives working on that. I think if you talk this up in your why I want to be a naval officer it will look good. Let your ASTB scores speak for your science skills.
Good Luck

aslam

There was a guy flying F-14's in the book Airwarriors who was a music major I think. Tuba was his callsign.

ASLAM.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey,

I was a music Business/Voice major and my package is going in probably next week. I did pretty well on the ASTB (5's across the board) and got damn good LOR's and really worked on my Motivational Statement. From what my recruiter told me and from what I've read on this board they really do look at the whole person, and that he's seen people with 2.0's get accepted and 3.0's get rejected. I guess the correct phrase to sum this up is YOU NEVER KNOW! I'm freakin out just like you cause my GPA is not too great but I have other strong points like flight time. From what I've been told by my recruiter, it's his JOB to make your app look good and set it up to make your good points shine. I guess by all this rambling that I am showing the holes in my feet from all of the pins and needles I am walking on waiting to get everything signed, sealed and delivered but I hope this helps, I know it helps me .... this board is like a fricken therepy session ........ people should charge for this !!!! (LOL)

Peace,

SPin

Status
Not open for further replies.