• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mustang Crash at Reno-Stead

yak52driver

Contributor
I'm pretty sure the Thunder Mustang is like a 3/4 scale version. He was racing in the Sport class, not the Unlimited, but still a big deal if you're in the plane no matter what class you're racing in.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Don't blame him, but it re-affirms the old adage that "it's better to be lucky than good". He was lucky that day.

HuggyU2

None
I was watching the whole thing unfold, and wondered how he managed to miss the runway despite starting with a lot of energy.
I was standing with friend who has a whole bunch of Reno race experience, and he was downright livid that it ended up in a pile, instead of a nice landing.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Even missing the runway shouldn't have been a problem unless he had something in front of him that was trying to avoid...

yak52driver

Contributor
I was watching the whole thing unfold, and wondered how he managed to miss the runway despite starting with a lot of energy.
I was standing with friend who has a whole bunch of Reno race experience, and he was downright livid that it ended up in a pile, instead of a nice landing.

You probably got to watch Relentless in the sport class lose its prop. He actually made a descent looking landing on one of the runways. Link is to an eaa page with a video of the incident.

http://www.eaa.org/news/2010/2010-09-15_relentless.asp

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Sudden access to the connecting rods through the side of the engine block" needs to go in someone's quote log.