• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mustang officers....How does it compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Lets see....I didn't go to PI, but I think SD will suffice. OCS and boot are two different animals. I was only 18 (barely) when I went to boot camp and that was 9 1/2 years ago, so it's a little blury. But as long as you can follow orders, move with a sense of urgency, do 3 pullups, a couple dozen crunchs, and run a 28 min 3-mile, you can probably survice boot camp.

OCS...the first thing that comes to mind is the physical aspect. You run everyday at OCS, and a good run at that. I recommend being able to run at least a 20 or 21, 15+ pullups and Max crunchs. If you can't you'll have a hard time, and if you make it you'll probably be close to maxing the PFT at the end. The Mental part of OCS wasn't as tough as the Boot camp stuff, but that's my opinion, other priors may say otherwise. Anyway, the first couple of weeks is more like Boot, but after that they (Sgt Inst's & Plt Sgt) back off and let the candidates run the show. If you can remember back to boot, the DI's told you when to fall out for chow, classes, etc..., at OCS the candidate staff is responsible for getting his/her Plt to the assigned event, early! Once stuff starts getting F'ed up, the Sgt Inst's will intervene. Plus, you'll have multible billets, from Fire team leader to Candidate Company Commander, so be ready to take responsibility for other candidates mistakes. The hardest thing to deal with (for me) was sleep deprivation. In boot you got a Manditory 7-8 hours, and OCS you are lucky to get 4-5 a night.

Oh yeah, I can't leave out the Liberty you'll recieve the third weekend.

I'm sure other Mustangs can add to this...

Beetle

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Completely different mentality than boot. You are at OCS to show that you are capable of learning to lead Marines. Your leadership ability as an individual is being judged by senior SNCO's and company grade officers. Everything you do or fail to do as well as everything your subordinates do or fail to do is observed. You will be put into leadership billets. These range from candidate fire-team leader all the way up to candidate company-commander. The PT is much more strenuous, and there is alot more of it. PT lasts for about two and a half hours six days a week. This does not necessarily include field problems and combat endurance courses. The academic side is a little bit harder but not by too much. Many of the same subjects are covered but in greater detail. Also, don't expect anywhere near the same amount of sleep. On nights you aren't in the field, you'll hit the rack arond 2200 and be up at about 0500. However, there is alot to get done at night like shining your boots and pressing your cammies, but I guess thats gone by the wayside since the issuance of the new cammies that don't need creasing. I thought OCS was tougher, but its still a helluva good time if you're up to the challenge.

ChrisAg05

Not to derail this topic or anything, but I had a question about sleep. A friend of mine who went to Jrs a few years ago said the same thing about getting 4-5 hours sleep max, but when I talked to my OSO he said that theyre mandating 8 hours of sleep now. Anybody been recently to know if this is true?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Chris, sounds like your OSO is trying to sugar coat the whole sleep time thing. I wouldn't ever count on 8 hours. I've researched a lot about OCS, and I've never heard of anyone getting that much. Maybe 7 if they have everything squared away. Now, I think they do allocate specific hours (2200-0500?) for candidates, but that's when you have to do all the things in preparation for the next day. My $.02

wanaBpilot

Pro Rec'd NFO
I went to OCS this summer, and they are trying to get you to bed by 2200, and you are always up at 0500, thats 7 hours. But with all you have to do at night your lucky to be in bed by 12:00, and with everyone getting ready in the morning you are usually up at 0430 at the latest. So 4-5 hours is the norm. It gets to you, it is so hard to stay awake in class, they do allow you to stand on the side, I recommend it! I enjoyed the PT, chance to get away and relieve stress. Practice leading if you can before you go, it is definately the most strenuous. And make sure to pay attention to detail, I got reamed on several occasions for this. Good Luck, Semper Fi

Killer2

TRONS!
None
If you have one goal at OCS , besides passing of course, it is don't get an essay. I had SI's who gave them away like candy. Yea you don't have to shine your boots or press the cammies, but the higher your billet then the less sleep. Fire watch, study time, $h#t you have to get done, will subtract from you sleep time. Learn good time management. When you have read those "Candidate Regs" front to back 3 times then start making note cards with the info for an upcoming test or general orders, whatever just if you have "free time" then use it wisely.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
There aren't many comparisons to Boot and OCS. I guess the PT is "harder" but at least it's something you can fix before you go. Definately be a solid 20 min guy before you go and I recommend 25 pullups because you will drop a couple by the time you finish (10 weeks). If you can't max crunches you will by then. If you can't PT don't go. You don't get thrashed (IT) and there are no real hills. You don't do mess and maintenance week. You don't ever fire a live round. I think OCS is a place you get less disciplined then when you arrive. People were taking pics on SULE II! OCS is more of a cross between SOI and boot camp. LRC is a blast and tarzan course was rad, and of course the quigley is fun but you go through it so fast you don't see much. The DI's were much less intense and personal I think they are told to be that way. They lose alot of bearing compared to boot camp.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey towbubba, you're letting me down man, shouldn't it be 81's-bubba?

No Love...

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
5733 Brother. Shot over, Splash over. Steel rain. Floated with both had the most fun with 81's but doesn't have the same ring. Hope to change it to helo bubba someday.
Wire-guided death on a leash,
S/F

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
Chain yankers are knuckle dragin' low angle libo risks.
banghead_125.gif

Originally posted by jdfairman
Completely different mentality than boot. You are at OCS to show that you are capable of learning to lead Marines. Your leadership ability as an individual is being judged by senior SNCO's and company grade officers. Everything you do or fail to do as well as everything your subordinates do or fail to do is observed. You will be put into leadership billets. These range from candidate fire-team leader all the way up to candidate company-commander. The PT is much more strenuous, and there is alot more of it. PT lasts for about two and a half hours six days a week. This does not necessarily include field problems and combat endurance courses. The academic side is a little bit harder but not by too much. Many of the same subjects are covered but in greater detail. Also, don't expect anywhere near the same amount of sleep. On nights you aren't in the field, you'll hit the rack arond 2200 and be up at about 0500. However, there is alot to get done at night like shining your boots and pressing your cammies, but I guess thats gone by the wayside since the issuance of the new cammies that don't need creasing. I thought OCS was tougher, but its still a helluva good time if you're up to the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.