• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MV-22 in Pensacola Area

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Just wondering if any of you all saw the MV-22Bs bouncing in and about the NW Florida area for the last week. I bounced at Brewton, Florala, Enterprise, Geneva, and Logan while 204 was there. We had an aircraft stop at South Whiting yesterday, as well.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/2510

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
AF has CV-22's - which from what I have read are very well equipped - and geared towards sustained independent operations. They are slated to replace the MH-53 Pave Low platform.

Dollars to donuts the AF "out Ospreys" the Marine Corp. They have the technological vision to really make something out of the MV-22. Look at what they did to the H-53!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just wondering if any of you all saw the MV-22Bs bouncing in and about the NW Florida area for the last week. I bounced at Brewton, Florala, Enterprise, Geneva, and Logan while 204 was there. We had an aircraft stop at South Whiting yesterday, as well.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/2510

I saw you guys bouncing over at S. Field while manning the hot dog cart at N. Field. That thing just looks odd. Cool, but odd.

dbatt005

P-3 FO
None
I got to watch them land from the C172 I was flying for IFS out of Destin. We asked Herbert Field for clearance to circle above the field while they were landing. It was a pretty cool sight.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
AF has CV-22's - which from what I have read are very well equipped - and geared towards sustained independent operations. They are slated to replace the MH-53 Pave Low platform.

Dollars to donuts the AF "out Ospreys" the Marine Corp. They have the technological vision to really make something out of the MV-22. Look at what they did to the H-53!

The V-22 is tailor made for long-range special ops inserts/extracts (or as they call it "infil/exfil")--the AFSOC mission . If we think of the V-22 as a 1-for-1 battle-taxi replacement for the phrog, we will only cheat ourselves, but if we start thinking about Marine air as a total package that now has a lot more capability, in addition to what we had before, we will come out ahead of any of the other services.

The CV is the same bird at heart, just tricked out with sensors and high-end survivability enhancements. There is a trade-off, though. Those enhancements weigh a lot--witness the reduced payload of the 53J/M v. the Marine 53D. In terms of fleet introduction, the Marine Corps is currently well ahead.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Wish you guys would come up to Meridian to bounce, I am still very much envious of my classmates who selected Ospreys, what a cool ride, and cool training. Anybody bringing any Ospreys or anything else to Sun N Fun?

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I got to watch them land from the C172 I was flying for IFS out of Destin. We asked Herbert Field for clearance to circle above the field while they were landing. It was a pretty cool sight.

Not to be a dick, but its Hurlburt.