• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MV-22 Iraq Update

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
VMM-263 is doing great. It still isn't good enough for some. Apparently Iraq isn't enough of a war for them anymore.

C'mon, it's not a great war, but it's the only one we've got! j/k

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Holy crap, a generator failed! Oh no their ready-up status dipped to 50%! Are you kidding me? That's every squadron of every platform. Fucking media.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have'em come to Prowler land and we'll show'em some more . . . umm . . . "interesting" ways to canx than a measly generator light!:D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Always fun when reporters try and jump on a bandwagon when they don't understand the subject. There are so many V-22 haters out there, it doesn't matter how well the airplane does, there's somebody that will still dump on it.

Look, airplanes break. Even new airplanes, ESPECIALLY new airplanes. You fly 'em hard, break 'em, fix 'em, and fly 'em some more.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The flight hours per person (~70) for three months seems kind of low to me since it's in Iraq. Is that normal for deployed ops? I figured it'd be more.

I understand that it's probably higher for some individuals, as I wouldn't imagine the CO/XO flies as much as a new FRP.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Uh, remember the aircraft carries 2 pilots, so you can't just divide the squadron flight time in the story by the number of pilots given. You have to double it, then divide. Is 142 per pilot a little more up your alley?

They're flying an appropropriate number of hours for a medium-lift squadron, plus they're probably doing more during that time, since they're doing it faster while carrying more. Also, a -46 squadron has more aircraft.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The flight hours per person (~70) for three months seems kind of low to me since it's in Iraq. Is that normal for deployed ops? I figured it'd be more.

I understand that it's probably higher for some individuals, as I wouldn't imagine the CO/XO flies as much as a new FRP.
Average flight hours per person per month on my det: roughly 18. Of course, the average for shore-based dets is quite a bit higher, as is the average for SAR dets.

phrogpilot73

Just did the math, they are flying an average of 47.5 flight hours per pilot, per month. That sounds about right, and about the same as what my squadron did while I was there. I averaged 39.8 hours per month from my time in Iraq (30.7 low month, and 68.1 high month), but I was slightly below the squadron average. I believe it was 45-ish...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Uh, remember the aircraft carries 2 pilots, so you can't just divide the squadron flight time in the story by the number of pilots given. You have to double it, then divide. Is 142 per pilot a little more up your alley?

I'm an idiot. That makes more sense. Thanks.