• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Na/nfo,prk

ForsytheJC

I have been reading around the forums for the past few days and have not found a clear answer. Basically im a freshman in college, and I want to be a Marine Aviator. I talked to the OSO here in Florida and i can not be a pilot until i have PRK to correct my vision. He told me i have to be 24 to get this surgery done. He said that i should just do NFO until i am 24 and then apply for a NFO to NA transfer program after i get surgery. From what i have been reading on the forums, most people are saying dont even send the package in until i have PRK.

So basically,
1) I talked to my eye doctor and she said my vision is correctable to 20/20. I dont remember exactly what my vision is but its pretty bad. Is there a cap on how bad it can be even if it can be corrected?
2) Is there much chance on gettting accepted into this program to transfer NFO-NA. Obviously depends on scores, physical tests etc.

I have no problem being an NFO at all, and will gladly do it if this does not work out, I would honestly rather fly the plane myself.

Sorry if this is in wrong thread, i didnt know to put here or in PRK or NFO.

Thanks for any help, I am just trying every available way to be a pilot, and if it doesnt work then NFO it is.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry I can't help you here exactly. Have you checked the NOMI website to see what the current policy is for PRK? I am in the Navy and had PRK when I was 21 (while in BDCP).

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Why do you have to be 24 to get it done? They say that you should be 21 just to make sure that your eyes are done changing.

FastMover

NFO
None
That age requirement sounds like bum gouge. Get a 2nd opinion. I'm 23 and will have PRK done in about a month now.

ForsytheJC

Ok, I can get it done at 21 which is about 2 months before when i get my bachelors. My OSO said that with 20/20 he will put NA on app. instead of NFO. Obviously i still have all the tests,exams, flight physical etc. But Should i wait till Im done with college and do OCC so everything says NA from beginning or, if its even possible, to do PLC and have NFO on app and then switch when i have PRK to get NA.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Ok, I can get it done at 21 which is about 2 months before when i get my bachelors. My OSO said that with 20/20 he will put NA on app. instead of NFO. Obviously i still have all the tests,exams, flight physical etc. But Should i wait till Im done with college and do OCC so everything says NA from beginning or, if its even possible, to do PLC and have NFO on app and then switch when i have PRK to get NA.

Don't plan on switching. Once it says NFO on the paper the odds of getting Pilot are slim to none. If you want pilot that badly, wait before doing any paperwork and get the PRK done. It'll be a roughly 6 month wait from surgery to medical clearance, so take advantage of that time to get into better physical condition, take your ASTB if you haven't already, and get some parts of your package together.

And FWIW, I got PRK done when I was only 20. My glasses prescription hadn't changed in 3 years, and even that last change was only a minor one. Stability is the major factor, talk to your surgeon about it.

ForsytheJC

Ya i need to speek with the eye doctor, my vision has changed minorly over the past year but was rather sparatic jumps every 9 months before that. By the time im 21 should be fine, THanks for all the info:)

Rossi

Ya i need to speek with the eye doctor, my vision has changed minorly over the past year but was rather sparatic jumps every 9 months before that. By the time im 21 should be fine, THanks for all the info:)

Yeah the 24 thing is ridiculous. You should be fine by 21, you might even be able to get it done earlier. Just be careful with your eyes after you do it. I talked to my optometrist about having PRK before i turn 20 and he said the only real reason not to would be the damage that alot of people sustain during college, aka many hours (especially for engineering degrees) reading and doing homework in bad lighting. There are several posts on about this. Some people mention supplements such as lutein, and wearing reading glasses. I'm rambling...

ForsytheJC

hmm got to thinkin about it. Can i put ground on pmy package. do my 4 yrs. then re-up as a pilot if i already have my prk done