• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Name that "thing"...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is it? Where is it? and Why is it?

If anyone knows...I have some more dead giveaway pics of this that you'll really like.

r/
G

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Buran.

aka Soviet Space Shuttle.

DCP_1405.jpg

buran_space_shuttle_21.jpg

Seems to be missing the two turbojets they added for flight testing. Interesting note, the first Buran test flight was totally unmanned. That is one big UAV.

B

Blutonski816

I've never seen a closeup pic of Buran's engines...
but from What I've seen from old Propaganda posters I kinda had a feeling that they were all funky looking.

The thruster pods on the sides were a bit of a giveaway, though....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The big giveaway was the rusty junkyard it's sitting in ..... ahhhhh, Gladnost and Perestroika and the Worker's Paradise .... :)

SteveG75

None
OK, here is another entry for you all to discuss. And it is USN to boot, not some damn Russki.

pic50.jpg

a_1428_19_o.jpg

Had to work hard to find pics that did not name it. :icon_wink

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"Flying Flapjack" ... can't remember the designation ... it was going to be a fighter ???

Where was the first pix taken, BTW.... ???

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
the first Buran test flight was totally unmanned. That is one big UAV.
The first one? It only ever flew once. Undoubtedly the world's most expensive pig on a stick.

Brett

SteveG75

None
Fly Navy said:
THat one looks like it has jets on it as well.

Nope, two air intakes for the radial engines that then powered the propellors via shaft drive.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Correct. It is the Space Shuttlski.
I have some more pics I'll post on Sunday that give a real unique look at it. And will reveal where it is. Pics are at work...and our weekend is Fri/Sat here in the gulf...so Sunday it is.
Cheers,
G