• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS Oceana and Naval Station Norfolk

gtg941f

pilot
Hey guys,

I'm in Wallops Island this weekend visiting my gf who is up here working on some stuff with Goddard.

She's working tomorrow and I've never been in the area so I'm heading down to Norfolk tomorrow to see these two bases. I'm a SNA BDCPer and am obviously interested in seeing everything. For everybody who either lives/works out here, is there anything that is a must to see either on or off the bases? Are there good places within the gates to view the runway/docks? Any ships here available to tour?

Any advice/suggestions would be great. Thanks! :)

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
First Colonial off of I-264*** will take you right past the end of Oceana 5R and L (I believe those are the #'s). There is a small cul-de-sac type area for some kind of commercial business. Anyways, you can park there as long as you're out of the way of the gate. Depending on the wind direction, if they are using those runways the jets will either be taking off or landing in your direction and the jets will be flying a couple hundred feet above your head! It's pretty impressive, the best thing for those of us who can't get on base yet. I do it all the time to motivate myself. The beach is also about 2 miles from Oceana, although it's getting colder now.

gtg941f

pilot
thanks for the tip. i'll be checking out the beach but definitely no sunning/swimming.

fortunately, I have base access b/c of BDCP so I'll just snoop around if there's not much air traffic.