• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA Test Pilots

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
most definitely.....see:
NASA Dryden Flight Research Center

Patuxent River and Edwards AFB both do operational testing of military aircraft. There are people on this forum who can elaborate on that development process, but there is also a large amount of research that is done outside of the military flight test community (though it may in fact be sponsored by one or more of our military branches and/or foreign governments). Things like the "aeroelastic wing" (F/A-18A w/ wings that warp to work in place of moving flight control surfaces), automated air refueling, and countless other projects. Many actually do become part of the more mainstream aviation community. Back in the 1970's NASA developed digital flight control systems that are now used in many modern aircraft (see the F-8 section in the Dryden archives). Also much of their lifting body research was applied in the space shuttle. Just some examples of research done outside of Pax Rvr and the AF test wings at Edw. AFB

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
indeed....if I remember right, it was actually the original configuration for aircraft (didn't the wright flyer use this method?). Obviously it fell by the wayside since those days, but with modern "smart" materials it seems like it may become feasible for today's high performance aircraft.....cool stuff if you ask me

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't forget, NASA is using the JSF as chase planes for their new hybrid air launched space shuttle, as well. Although, you'd really think they'd test that thing before they put a bunch of reporters onboard.

Pags

N/A
pilot
indeed....if I remember right, it was actually the original configuration for aircraft (didn't the wright flyer use this method?). Obviously it fell by the wayside since those days, but with modern "smart" materials it seems like it may become feasible for today's high performance aircraft.....cool stuff if you ask me

Yes, the wright flyer used wing warping, as did many of the earlier aircraft.

Don't forget, NASA is using the JSF as chase planes for their new hybrid air launched space shuttle, as well. Although, you'd really think they'd test that thing before they put a bunch of reporters onboard.

Ha Ha.:icon_tong Still an enjoyable sequence during the movie, though.

-j

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Superman Returns. A very well made movie, and yet, not all that thrilling. It's tough to "replace" Chris Reeve and Gene Hackman.