• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nat'l DS medal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Ok, this question might seem a bit retarded but here it goes....

I commission in T minus 19 days and counting. On the day of my commissioning, would i be eligible to wear the National Defense Service medal on my chokers? I saw pictures of commissioning ceremonies from other universities and they all were wearing the medal the day of commissioning. Just curious what recent commissionees did because I plan on asking my XO about it but dont know a good way to ask without looking like I just wanna have a medal i havent earned yet or some crap like that. Plus, it would look nice if i had something on both my shoulders and chest :)

Thanx peeps.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do know that mids at USNA wear the NDSM and rifle pistol quals while a mid and then on commissioning day.
Not too sure about ROTC. Your unit OIC shold be able to tell you fairly easily.
r/
G

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the window for issuing the medal is still open (which I believe it is) you rate. My ROTC classmates and I had individual commissionings before our unit one, and our LT handed us NDSMs as soon as we were done. I haven't seen anyone yet not wearing it. Of course I'm a FY03 so your mileage may vary.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
I was comissioned in May 04. Our CO pinned the NDSM on us after we had taken our oath and had our shoulder boards put on.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure that your unit has a plan for all that stuff. Grab some balls and ask your XO. There are going to me much more serious and uncomfortable issues that you'll have to broach with your COs of the future - might as well get used to it. Congratulations!

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Absolutely nothing wrong with Brett's response. Reading Fezz's post indicates he feels awkward about asking the XO. No reason to. I agree, sack up and ask the man. He's probably going to tell you to wear it for the picture. The end.

and no, I won't give you a hug.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
jmwSemperFi said:
... no disrespect or anything, just trying to help :icon_tong

Good for you. This is the forum to ask those questions. Sometimes you gotta wade throught the "stuff" but most all of us are here to lend a helping hand.

Thicker Skin, over time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jmwSemperFi said:
Brett, hate to be the one to bring this up but it doesn't sound like its lack of "balls" on his part. Like he said - "I plan on asking my XO about it but dont know a good way to ask without looking like I just wanna have a medal". He did say he was going to ask, maybe he just wanted to make sure he was on the right road before he did. Cut him some slack.

I am sure that you have heard the saying "hook a brother up"...well how about we do that here. Nothing wrong with asking questions, in this case its no big deal but there are others / and some COs that could get people in some trouble. Again, no disrespect or anything, just trying to help. :icon_tong
Dude, don't get me started - again! I think your interests might best be served by watching, listening and learning right now. I hope I haven't injured your delicate sensibilities. If you type another two page soliloquy about your feelings and how you think things should be in the fleet, I will go berserk.

Brett

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why do I get the feeling that someone is just trolling for trouble?

Brett

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jmwSemperFi said:
Like he said - "I plan on asking my XO about it but dont know a good way to ask without looking like I just wanna have a medal".

uh.... that's all he does want. the ND medal is a f-cking participation ribbon. no one cares that you have one, and no one is going to be impressed by it -- everyone else has it too. the only reason anyone would ask about whether they rate it or not the day of commissioning is to have a little more color for a picture. medals and ribbons that just about every single AD person rates, have zero significance... see NDS, GWOT... nothing but a pain in the butt expense to get mounted.

ps- like others have alluded to... its "big ears, little mouth time" for you.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
squeeze said:
the only reason anyone would ask about whether they rate it or not the day of commissioning is to have a little more color for a picture

EXACTLY! Haha. But yea, thanks guys for the advice. I'm not scared to ask my XO, just wanna plan the course of action before I attack, thats all. Anyways, lets not quarrel over this.

How bout I buy this round of beers? Honey Weiss anyone? :D

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
jmwSemperFi said:
Hey, I am not the one bringing up the past...I am fine with moving on and having fun...

Ok, you know what, lets end this right now...if someone has a personal problem with me then PM me and lets not eat up any more threads with this...If you disagree with me wanting to cut people some slack and not jump on them for every little thing then hey PM me but I am going to keep doing it if I feel appropriate...

jmwSemperFi-

I would very much like to make a comment to Fezz CB regarding his question about the ND medal. The comment will be sarcastic in nature and, should Fezz CB not get the humor, may hurt his feelings.

R/R permission to post my comment.

Very Respectfully,

FMR1833

Status
Not open for further replies.