• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviation Career Paths

Status
Not open for further replies.

footin35

I know that the answer to my question is probably on the site somewhere, but after hours of searching I have decided to just ask instead. What are the standard career paths for jet, P-3, and Helo pilots? Starting with graduation from Primary and selecting a platform, what different tours do you have in each pipeline and what is the standard length of these tours. I am mainly interested in the number of sea tours and shore tours in the first ten years. Up to date information is appreciated. Thanks!

B

Blutonski816

Hmm...
I used to have a PPT that provided the "average" career Paths for the Aviation community...

Lets see, after the RAG, you hit your fist fleet tour of 3 years. After that most guys go on to becoming Flight instructors (anywhere from Prmary to RAG instructor, although I haven't heard of any Jet guys who ended up as IPs in Primary). After that you return to the fleet for another tour. I forget from there....
But things I've heard include extra proffessional training (EAWS, NSAWC, etc.), earning your Masters, possible shore duty as a Flag aide or something else...

I'm sure the older gus like Meat and a4s have more details.

A lot of stuff. Good to think about the future but don't get bogged down with it now, you never know what could happen in any given interval of time.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems the jet IPs in the Primary squadrons are senior officers nearing retirement.

B

Blutonski816

I guess that kinda makes sense...
Although, I wonder why you'd want to really put your Ass on the line with SNAs in primary when you're just about ready to retire...

Maybe it's the the joy of sitting in back wile the SNA up front is quietly concentrating on adjusting the trim and then breaking in with a cold "What are you thinking?"
:cold_125:

Fred

Blutonski816 said:
I guess that kinda makes sense...
Although, I wonder why you'd want to really put your Ass on the line with SNAs in primary when you're just about ready to retire...

:cold_125:

It's a flying job. :)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Chime in if I'm missing anything:

Training Command
Wings
FRS
First Fleet Tour - 30-36 Months (aka "First Sea Tour")
Shore Tour - 30-36 Months (NPS, TPS, FRS IP, VT/HT IP, etc.)
Second Sea Tour "Disassociated" - Staff or Ships COmpany LHA, LHD, LPD, etc
Second Shore tour - make O-4
Department head squadron tour
etc etc

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Physicx said:
Are exchange programs with different countries career killers?

I don't think they are "killers" but a lot of detailers view them as "out of track" kind of jobs that don't get you the kind of fitrep a more traditional job would.

But on the other hand everyone I know that ever did a PEP tour ("exchange") had an absolute blast of a time and got incredible exposure flying wise.

Not a bad thing at all!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy Ensign said:
How long are you in the FRS?
Depends on platform. Average is probably 8-10 months.

Brett

P.S. ATTENTION PLEASE: What is this FRS sh!t? Let's call it what it is, the RAG. Thank you. ;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
But here in the FRS, we call it the FRS.

...or RAG, or "thank God I'm not in Meridian..."

lol
anim_lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.