• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviation Vision - as January 2012

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I'm distressed by the number of pages that have "2012: such and such aircraft in service ----> 2032: future follow on aircraft TBD"

Also, if you have last year's NAV, it's interesting to see how many a/c have been pushed back another year before follow on.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm distressed by the number of pages that have "2012: such and such aircraft in service ----> 2032: future follow on aircraft TBD"

Also, if you have last year's NAV, it's interesting to see how many a/c have been pushed back another year before follow on.

We were talking about this in the ready room the other day. There are plans to take airplanes out of service when they hit their max life, but there are no plans on what to replace them with or how. What's the point of even publishing such a nice, glossy book if you don't have anything useful to say.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think I found a typo. On page 90, under "AIRSpeed," it reads "The industry-proven tools... Lean, Six Sigma..." Not sure what "Lean" is, but I've heard of "Six Sigma." Looks like a stray comma managed to sneak past all those black belts, MBAs, and kaizenistas! :D

Anyway... lightheartedness aside, the stuff in the last third of this document reminds me of the pre-9/11 "Transformation" and "Modernization" of the Rumsfeld DoD- and what the history books say about pre-Tonkin Gulf Incident DoD under McNamara. (For what it's worth, I think both might have made pretty decent peacetime SecDefs, but that's another discussion.) The first two thirds have a lot of neat specific information on current stuff and some great pictures. The last third reveals a lot more about the envisioned future, albeit in a roundabout way.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Wow ... no love for Navy helicopter assets on the LHA/LHD ... hmmmmmmmm. Would have been a great opportunity to brag about Armed Helo and ASUW.

Proof that we chop to the wrong guy during Amphib Dets???

TXSooner07

None
I think I found a typo. On page 90, under "AIRSpeed," it reads "The industry-proven tools... Lean, Six Sigma..." Not sure what "Lean" is, but I've heard of "Six Sigma." Looks like a stray comma managed to sneak past all those black belts, MBAs, and kaizenistas! :D

Six sigma is evil! Ok ok, not exactly evil but it's the popular buzz word around the corporate culture these days, which is why I left that to come here...

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
When discussing the Hellfire replacement, the JAGM, it only mentions giving it to the Romeo. Is the Sierra, with emphasis on the "Armed Helo" concept, going to the JAGM eventually as well?

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
JAGM is a replacement for Hellfire as a whole, so I'd imagine it applies to all platforms, MH-60S included...

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Yes the MH-60S is supposed to get JAGM, or whatever that abortion of a project ends up giving us. (Rockets, laser rockets, laser missiles, etc. Again a program that can't seem to grasp the real needs of the end user.) It is also getting a forward firing 20mm.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
JAGM is a replacement for Hellfire as a whole, so I'd imagine it applies to all platforms, MH-60S included...

That's what I assume too, just curious how they pointed out only the Romeo in the publication. But I've learned not to make assumptions about defense procurement, no matter how logical they may be.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes the MH-60S is supposed to get JAGM, or whatever that abortion of a project ends up giving us. (Rockets, laser rockets, laser missiles, etc. Again a program that can't seem to grasp the real needs of the end user.) It is also getting a forward firing 20mm.
I'm pretty sure JAGM is a DoD wide hellfire replacement program, while rockets (dumb, logir, apkws) are a navy initative for the mh-60s.

dilbert123

pilot
Great find, thanks for posting. As on old timer, all of the aircraft of my time are obsolete and long gone to the boneyard. Interesting, too, that all of what we considered the "hot" aircraft then are either gone or being replaced now. Also interesting how certain aircraft seem to go on forever, E-2's and C-130's, for example, just seem to soldier on.

Brave new world.

Brunes

pilot

Anyway... lightheartedness aside, the stuff in the last third of this document reminds me of the pre-9/11 "Transformation" and "Modernization" of the Rumsfeld DoD- and what the history books say about pre-Tonkin Gulf Incident DoD under McNamara. (For what it's worth, I think both might have made pretty decent peacetime SecDefs, but that's another discussion.) The first two thirds have a lot of neat specific information on current stuff and some great pictures. The last third reveals a lot more about the envisioned future, albeit in a roundabout way.
LEAN is another process improvement method....