• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVAL AVIATION What are the realistic requirements? Prior Service to Aviation..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev

An obscure topic...

I'm prior Navy enlisted. 29 yrs old. 5 years as an Aviation Electronics Technician on-board the Truman, and I left active duty almost four years ago. 95 asvab and RE-1 code. I am about to graduate with my bachelors in Finance in a few weeks, and then go straight into civilian flight school over the summer. I'll have at least my private license by my 30th birthday.

My question is... Do I have any real shot at getting accepted into Naval Aviation? I'm near the end of the waiver cutoff (31st birthday). So if anyone in Aviation can respond to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Has anyone known of pilots that were prior service that commissioned a little older than normal? And what percentage of aviators come from OCS?

Thanks

I'd like to put my package in by June, while still 29. If I bring a 3.4 GPA and a good ASTB, 5 years aviation electronics, Solid PRT, and minimal flight hours.. Do I have a chance at getting my age waiver approved for NFA? Maybe NFO? Say, hypothetically that my age was the only asterisk on my application, would an age waiver be likely? I believe I can get at least 7/7/7 on ASTB.

jtmedli

pilot

An obscure topic...

I'm prior Navy enlisted. 29 yrs old. 5 years as an Aviation Electronics Technician on-board the Truman, and I left active duty almost four years ago. 95 asvab and RE-1 code. I am about to graduate with my bachelors in Finance in a few weeks, and then go straight into civilian flight school over the summer. I'll have at least my private license by my 30th birthday.

My question is... Do I have any real shot at getting accepted into Naval Aviation? I'm near the end of the waiver cutoff (31st birthday). So if anyone in Aviation can respond to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Has anyone known of pilots that were prior service that commissioned a little older than normal? And what percentage of aviators come from OCS?

Thanks

I'd like to put my package in by June, while still 29. If I bring a 3.4 GPA and a good ASTB, 5 years aviation electronics, Solid PRT, and minimal flight hours.. Do I have a chance at getting my age waiver approved for NFA? Maybe NFO? Say, hypothetically that my age was the only asterisk on my application, would an age waiver be likely? I believe I can get at least 7/7/7 on ASTB.

If you want it, then don't dick around with "what are my chances" type of stuff or wondering and get on it. June isn't that far away. There's really no need to get your PPL unless you just want to. Take the ASTB and get to working on that package seeing as how they kinda take a while to get together.

You sound like you definitely have a chance and people come through flight school after being prior-E for a while all the time. My API class leader was about your age and he's in my advanced squadron right now.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
To apply for SNA, you have to commission by your 29th birthday. The waiver to 31 is only for SNFO. I know plenty of guys around here who are my age (I commissioned a little after 27), and I know more than a handful of prior-E SNFOs who are 30-31. As stated above, no PPL required and I wouldn't waste the money on civilian flight school either.

Bottom line is the worst they can do is tell you no. Put in your package and see what happens, otherwise you have a 0% chance of being selected.

gotta_fly

pilot
And since nobody else has said it, all the questions you asked have been asked before. Search around, the forum has lots to offer if you put some effort into it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
This is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, an "obscure topic". It pretty much gets asked in one way or another every day since this site has existed.

Use the search function and come back with specific questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.