• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviator Commitment

ka$h

Does anyone know what the commitment is if/when you make it through pilot training for the Navy???

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The commitment for Naval Aviator is 8 years.

After you get your wings. Training time does not count. There is some interservice transfer gouge here. Use the search function. Good luck.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
My gawd - it was 3.5yrs in '67 for pilot or NFO. Still a great experience, but it takes a much bigger hunk of your life. That said, I truly believe that you can't go wrong if (a) you stick for at least 20, or (b) do your required active duty and then do the reserves until you finish 20 & then retire. I did (b) and have not regretted a moment.

MasterBates

Did it used to be that they just wanted a fleet (likely combat) tour out of you at the time?

Now it works that you do sea, shore, IA, and am within the owe 2 years for "accepting" PCS orders before you are up.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Did it used to be that they just wanted a fleet (likely combat) tour out of you at the time?

Now it works that you do sea, shore, IA, and am within the owe 2 years for "accepting" PCS orders before you are up.

It depends on your community and even the RAG you went to. By the end of my shore tour, I ended up exactly at my PRD and my EAOS because my RAG was so long (10 months). Many of my fellow west coast contemporaries are in the same boat.

MasterBates

I would have JUST barely gotten out of taking "D-Tour" orders if I had stayed helos. But that was due to the RAG being a tad slow, and being extended 7 months at my fleet squadron.