• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviator. Possibly?

Reichert2006

Well, I have been doing some research on Naval Aviation and from what I have discovered from friends and some researching, it seems to be a pretty good deal. My main focus is to serve my country and enjoy flying at the same time. I'm only a freshman in college and am heading towards a flight degree where I will have my multi-engine and CFI. But I think it's time I start thinking about what I want to do after college. At first I was okay with just being a flight instructor teaching students how to fly a 152, but after talking to a couple friends and them getting me going on the whole military aviation, I decided I'd look into it.
I guess the main focus on this post is to know if there are any gray areas in this. From what the recruiters say it seems like if I were to get the scholarship I would finish my schooling and then go to OCS. After graduating from that I'd go into flight training where I would "pick" the aircraft that I want to fly. I saw a couple times on some other posts that of course most aviators won't get to fly F/A 18s. Which is completely fine with me. I'm not looking just to drop bombs and dogfight. So basically, if I were to get the scholarship and had the motivation, how do you think it will end up being "as planned" as they say it will?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Do not make a plan. There is no guarantee for a specific aircraft. If you want to serve and fly gray aircraft, then try for OCS or BDCP (I think you still have time for that).

Punctuation. Learn it.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I don't know what scholarship you are talking about. If you are speaking of an ROTC scholarship, then you won't know what job you will get until your junior year service selection. If you go the BDCP/OCS route, you will have a better chance of getting a guaranteed aviation slot. However you get there, once you are selected to go to flight school, the only certainty in your life will be the 6 weeks you spend at API in Pensacola, FL. After that, you may attend flight training in a number of different cities depending on the platform you qualify for and select.

ryan1234

If you wanted another shot at flying fighters you may consider the Air National Guard. But usually you would need to already have a degree in-hand to apply to the Guard units. The way it works is that a particular unit that flies a particular airframe (i.e. C-130s, F-16s, C-17s, F-15s, etc) usually has a "hiring board" each year. You get your "packet" together, which consists of AFOQT scores, flight time, transcripts. If they like your packet for whatever reason, they may invite you to an interview. A typical fighter unit gets about 150-200 applications and usually about 10-15 are selected to interview. The interview is usually formal and informal - you'll sit before a board and answer questions (all kinds of questions) and then you'll be able to grab a few beers with everyone and they'll get to know you on more of a social level. Out of those that interview, about 1-2 will get an opportunity to go to AF flight school (UPT). Each unit has a different flavor, some units like guys with prior flight time, some like stellar test scores, some like 'life experience', etc.

The ball is placed in your court if you're selected. If you're being "sponsored" at UPT by a fighter unit, you must graduate in the top 50% of your UPT class (unless you're going to ENJJPT?). There are no guarantees that you will not wash out at any point in your training (medically, academically, etc). There are also no guarantees that your unit will still be around when you get done with your training. There are a lot of politics with the Guard, so the unit that picked you up may get BRAC'd into a Pred unit while you're gone. There are a lot of cool things though - and a lot of really great people who have been there and done that. A Guard squadron may have twice as many hours and flying experience than their Active Duty counterparts. Chances are you'll be in one place for your commitment unless you transfer out.

BDCP is a great deal going if you're still in college - and at this point I'd think you'd be crazy not to apply for it.

Either way good luck! And don't do anything dumb in college that'll ruin your chances later on:icon_smil.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
If you wanted another shot at flying fighters you may consider the Air National Guard. But usually you would need to already have a degree in-hand to apply to the Guard units. The way it works is that a particular unit that flies a particular airframe (i.e. C-130s, F-16s, C-17s, F-15s, etc) usually has a "hiring board" each year. You get your "packet" together, which consists of AFOQT scores, flight time, transcripts. If they like your packet for whatever reason, they may invite you to an interview. A typical fighter unit gets about 150-200 applications and usually about 10-15 are selected to interview. The interview is usually formal and informal - you'll sit before a board and answer questions (all kinds of questions) and then you'll be able to grab a few beers with everyone and they'll get to know you on more of a social level. Out of those that interview, about 1-2 will get an opportunity to go to AF flight school (UPT). Each unit has a different flavor, some units like guys with prior flight time, some like stellar test scores, some like 'life experience', etc.

The ball is placed in your court if you're selected. If you're being "sponsored" at UPT by a fighter unit, you must graduate in the top 50% of your UPT class (unless you're going to ENJJPT?). There are no guarantees that you will not wash out at any point in your training (medically, academically, etc). There are also no guarantees that your unit will still be around when you get done with your training. There are a lot of politics with the Guard, so the unit that picked you up may get BRAC'd into a Pred unit while you're gone. There are a lot of cool things though - and a lot of really great people who have been there and done that. A Guard squadron may have twice as many hours and flying experience than their Active Duty counterparts. Chances are you'll be in one place for your commitment unless you transfer out.

BDCP is a great deal going if you're still in college - and at this point I'd think you'd be crazy not to apply for it.

Either way good luck! And don't do anything dumb in college that'll ruin your chances later on:icon_smil.

So when do you start UPT for the unit that picked you up again? ;)

ryan1234

So when do you start UPT for the unit that picked you up again? ;)

Ha - waiting for a date has been killing me (bout 5 months now since hired) - but I think when it comes it'll be fairly short notice - should get the dates any day now.

Things could be worse.... could be doing that whole Marine thing:icon_wink

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
I don't know what scholarship you are talking about. If you are speaking of an ROTC scholarship, then you won't know what job you will get until your junior year service selection.

"Service Assignment" (gay, I know) happens first semester senior year for NROTC folks. And Academy folks.