• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviator's Logbook Program

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
My OPSO pointed me to this, looks like a great piece of software. Runs on Microsoft Access. It is USAF friendly as well.

http://logbook.navalaviator.net/
I know people who track their own hours in some fashion or another, but it seems like a big waste of time to me. I've never had any errors worth fussing about over the years, but whatever floats your boat. I could see making photocopies in case your logbook gets lost, but all your hours data gets logged in at least two independent computer systems at the squadron level.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I know people who track their own hours in some fashion or another, but it seems like a big waste of time to me. I've never had any errors worth fussing about over the years, but whatever floats your boat. I could see making photocopies in case your logbook gets lost, but all your hours data gets logged in at least two independent computer systems at the squadron level.

Brett

No idea how fleet ops work, but I found many errors in my own logbook here.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:

Brett

I would always find errors, but they were correctable. What it does do is allow you to sort your hours so that you can easily see what you need for whatever reason. But you can do that with SHARP, says you. Well, only if SHARP doesn't crap itself in the yearly upgrades that they do and if you have access to SHARP, which outside of the fleet, you don't. Fortunately one of the AWs gave me an Excel doc that did the same type of thing. They used it to unscrew my logbook right before I left (one of which was my time in model. Turns out I hit 1K a month before I thought I did).

Using those two indepedent computer systems at the squadron level also doesn't help you when you're trying to span airframes. I'm guessing it's not as big a deal when you're dealing with special crew time (not meant as a dig), but when you're trying to sort out A-time, NVG time, helo time, model time, and total time, all over several squadrons, it gets to be a hassle.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
Insert crack ... here :)

crack-782980.jpg

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy- If you are going to start using a program like that, do it now. It is a pain in the a$$ to start when you have 1K hours to back log.
Congrats on your wings btw.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Using those two indepedent computer systems at the squadron level also doesn't help you when you're trying to span airframes. I'm guessing it's not as big a deal when you're dealing with special crew time (not meant as a dig), but when you're trying to sort out A-time, NVG time, helo time, model time, and total time, all over several squadrons, it gets to be a hassle.
Not taken as a dig, but for you who are NFO-unexperienced, we have to track all that stuff too and have all the same types of currency requirements. Personally, I've seen guys who track themselves and those who don't. The world doesn't seem to end for either flavor, so I would just as soon not duplicate the effort.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
To be honest, that's kind of been my philosophy, as well. But at least I have some tools if I want to use them. As for quals you have to track, again, didn't mean to sound like you don't have any, I just assumed (yup, there's the problem) there wouldn't be as many. Now that I think about it, I can see there's a bunch of stuff you guys could track, especially when you have to nanny a nugget pilot. BTW, do you guys fly on goggles? I know the F/A guys do, but wasn't sure if you guys actually needed them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
To be honest, that's kind of been my philosophy, as well. But at least I have some tools if I want to use them. As for quals you have to track, again, didn't mean to sound like you don't have any, I just assumed (yup, there's the problem) there wouldn't be as many. Now that I think about it, I can see there's a bunch of stuff you guys could track, especially when you have to nanny a nugget pilot. BTW, do you guys fly on goggles? I know the F/A guys do, but wasn't sure if you guys actually needed them.
Sure do. All the OEF Prowler work is done 100% at night w/ NVGs. The field at Bagram operates lights out at night as well, so unlike our normal SOP where we doff the NVGs prior to landing, the guys over there are landing with them on.

Brett