• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Observers Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbell

Greetings Everyone,

Does anyone have info. on what is required to earn the Naval Aviation Observer qualification and if an Intel/Crypto Officer can qualify?

Thanks,

Brady

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is a great question. I hope someone can help you since I am very curious. I can say that over 23 years in Naval Aviation I personally have not seen them awarded to anyone. I haven't even seen them worn by anyone. Last I heard the USMC officer observer/FACs (usually artillery MOSs) that flew in the old OV-10 Broncos earned AO wings. Intel and especially crytpo guys have flown in the past, like in VQ and certain special projects, but I have never seen any of those guys wearing AO wings. Hope someone can educate us.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our Intel LTJG wore them, got them in our squadron. FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND....It's a little similar to EAWS, as far as understanding basic avtion terminology, and then doing a NATOPS PQS/Syllabus for whatever airframe you are trying to qualify in. Example being, in a P-3 the observer has to check in on ICS in the aft and report anything unusual during starts. But there are specific malfunctions and evidence he has to look for. It isn't particularly difficult or anything, just a little studying, track down guys to signt he PQS, and get a checkride. Maybe a review board, I'm not sure.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In my old plane, the EP-3, the non flying officer in the back were awarded them. They would have to get qualified in their job, going through a PQS that covered their job and safety stuff and fly 200 hours to earn them. Intel officers could get them too if they did the observer PQS and got 200 hours. One Intel O in my squadron almost got them but did not quite get to the 200 hour mark. An Intel officer really has to make an effort to get to that point, but it is not impossible if you are in a VP or VQ squadron. The only other people I have seen listed who could get them are airborne meteorologists but since we don't have weather research aircraft anymore, I don't see how they could get them.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew a Intel officer on the boat and he got them from his P-3 squadron. I believe the requirements are delineated in the OPNAVINST 3710.7S. He said he had to get "Flying Orders" in order to qualify....and of course all the other stuff.
ea6bflyr

UncleFester

Hummer NFO To Be Reckoned With
NAO wings used to be what NFOs wore, until they were made seperate jobs in the mid-60s. It used to be a fairly easy pin to earn; I've talked to guys who got them on Middie aviation summer cruises, until They cracked down a few years ago. Now I think it's actually one of the hardest to get. You have to jump through all kinds of hoops to earn them. AIOs sometimes try for them but almost always get shot down. We tried to get them for some of our ATs who fly with us for airborne troubleshooting; no dice. In a nutshell, they're for people who are required to fly as part of their jobs, but aren't pilots, NFOs or aircrewmen - mostly EP-3 intel guys, I think. Otherwise, your chances are pretty much nil.

Status
Not open for further replies.