• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

naval postgraduate school

staff03

I know that the road to nps is a very difficult one and is just one of many possible paths my career could take but I was just curious as to what kind of degrees a B.S. in Economics would make me eligible to get at nps. I got on the website but I couldnt really figure out what the pre-recs are for their degrees or even how you get into it. Can anyone offer any insight?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Good fitreps and a strong academic background. Economics wouldn't necessarily be something they'd be looking for but I think they look more at your overall academics instead of just your major.

I was a math major at the Academy and took Operations Analysis in Monterey, but I was in class with a girl who was an oceanography major as an undergrad. They give you an academic profile code based on gpa, technical course background, among other things. It's ranked and your academic background is evaluated and compared to what you're trying to major in at NPS to see if you'd fit.

All of it's explained in pretty good detail here

http://www.nps.edu/Academics/GeneralCatalog/Home.htm.

On another note, I went out there as an Ensign, but according to some of the LT's I worked with, I guess for pilots it used to be viewed negatively but now it's more neutral, with respect to promotions. Volunteering to take a hard-fill billet after NPS is supposed to help getting a slot there too I hear since it's a good pay-back tour.

*Edit* The Bupers instruction helps too http://www.npc.navy.mil/CareerInfo/Education/

staff03

what are fitreps? I understand Econ probably isnt the best degree to qualify me so what kind of gpa makes you competitive, also do you have to take the gre like you would to get a masters anywhere else?

HuggyU2

None
Even the Navy won't take Texas Aggies into their better schools!
icon10.gif

HOOK 'EM!!

BackOrdered

Contributor
what are fitreps? I understand Econ probably isnt the best degree to qualify me so what kind of gpa makes you competitive, also do you have to take the gre like you would to get a masters anywhere else?

Fitrep = Fitness Reports. The higher you score on these, the better your chances are for promotion and good assignments.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
...but according to some of the LT's I worked with, I guess for pilots it used to be viewed negatively but now it's more neutral, with respect to promotions. Volunteering to take a hard-fill billet after NPS is supposed to help getting a slot there too I hear since it's a good pay-back tour.

In the pilot world, neutral = negative. It all depends on your community, I suppose, but for most, if you go to a non-competitive JO shore tour, you are dead to them. That is why pilots are forced to get their masters and work a full time job if they want to stay competitive.