• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Reserve to pilot training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airman Rob

New to the forum - looks great!!
I have been in USNR for 4 months now - and imminently receiving my US citizenship. What is the procedure to go from an enlisted Airman rank to pilot training -

I am 29 - is the prior service waiver to age 31 still in place - and would I qualify for that??

Your help would be much appreciated.

Goliath112

Originally posted by Airman Rob
New to the forum - looks great!!
I have been in USNR for 4 months now - and imminently receiving my US citizenship. What is the procedure to go from an enlisted Airman rank to pilot training -

I am 29 - is the prior service waiver to age 31 still in place - and would I qualify for that??

Your help would be much appreciated.

you have a Phd? wow.. well you might want to see your comannd career counselor for more specifics. but I pretty sure that waiver is still in place for priors. also I know that there are immediate commissioning oppurtunities for sailors with Bachelors or above. which means you send a OCS application to Millington. talk to your ccc dude.

man the wait is killing me

Airman Rob

Haven't completed the PhD - still working on it!! I think it is possible to get a Direct Commission of some kind -
Not sure whether that wouldn't be into a line or staff category and whether or not I need to attend OCS/ some other officer training.
Recruiter told me if I was a US citizen when I applied, I would have joined as an officer.

Is the prior accession-based waiver a month-for-month waiver, or just "some qualifying service" - and does it matter if that service is Reserve vs Active duty
Thanks

Dave Shutter

I'm pretty sure the age waiver is back to month-for-month and it is active duty. A direct commission would make you a Staff Corps Officer so you'll have to go to OCS for Aviation. If you got the direct flavor you could apply for a transfer to Aviation but if Pilot is directly what you want you might be better off just going straight to OCS. It would save you a lot of time which you don't have that much of.

Airman Rob

Thanks for the insight - appreciate it!
Where is the month-2-month exchange called out - OPNAV 1420.1 specifies the age limit as waiverable to 31 with prior service, but doesn't place any more restrictions -
Any ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.