• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy and Marine Corps Aviation

B7RDemonLord

Hi. I am an enlisted airman in the Navy considering to become an officer in either the Navy or Marines and looking forward to going to flight training someday.

I already acknowledge a few basic similarities and differences between the 2 branches, but I'm still stuck about which branch would suit me on [possibly] becoming an officer/aviator.

I very respectfully request for straight facts from any experienced Navy/Marine aviators out there and, if any, prior enlisted officers from either of the 2 branches.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Search around the site, chances are there are answers to many questions you have, and some you don't realize you have yet.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
What I would look at first is which programs from each service you are eligible for, and want to apply for. From where you stand now, STA-21 is a possibility, and so is an appointment to USNA. If you are able to score USNA, then you can push off your decision on service until fall of Senior year where you "sort of" get a choice. If you want to have a real life for four years you can probably get into a NROTC unit pretty easy. Also, you'll have more control over your choice of service, and if you get to be a Marine option midshipman, it's not terribly hard to score an air contract.

Of course, BDCP and PLC are both cake and you can get guaranteed aviation, but it's not easy to get into.

Clear as mud?

The other question to ask is which is more important, service or aviation. Could you handle being a Surface warfare officer? Could you handle being in one of the ground MOS's in the Marine Corps? There's a very real chance that you might get in, even with an air contract, and end up not flying.

B7RDemonLord

Thanx 4 the gouge. Actually I was being more specific.

I am considering both Navy OCS and Marine OCS (through PLC).

The reason is that I plan to attend an art school in California after I get out of the Navy, which will be 2 more years from now; the schools that I am looking forward to go to [obviously] does NOT have any crosstown NROTC affiliation. Also, at the same time, I plan to get a pilot's license while getting my degree in order to increase my chance of getting an aviation officer MOS.

I mean, it doesn't matter which pipeline I go to. I just wanna fly. But, at the same time, I just try to keep my mind open to any other possibilities. :D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having a PPL does not increase your chances of getting picked up for an officer program or your chances of getting into aviation. I mean, if you just want to get it for the hell of it, then more power to you, but it's really damn expensive and time-consuming. You're unlikely to have the money to burn as a college student.

Art school is fine if you're following your bliss and all, and I know aviation officers who have art degrees, but if you're really serious about becoming a Naval aviator, start looking at NROTC-affiliated schools. If you just want Uncle Sam to pick up the tab for your education, that's what the GI Bill is for...study whatever you want, then go to OCS. Or look at BDCP. Or PLC for the Mahreens. All of them have been discussed here at very great length.

Point is, educate yourself on your options, think about what you really want to do and how to be about it, then come back with some specific questions. There's no general set of "straight facts about the Navy and Marines" that anyone here can give you that will be any real help (or that you couldn't find yourself by talking to your Career Counselor or ten minutes with Google or just taking a look at AirWarriors threads).

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Building on what mike put out there, you want to take an in depth look at both services (USN, USMC). Both have a very distinct culture, one of which you have a decent amount of exposure to. A rule of thumb in the Marine Corps. seems to be Marine Officer First, Pilot second... If you can't imagine yourself in an infantry-type MOS and embracing the very disciplined and conditioned mindset of the Marine Corps., then it may be a good idea to go the Navy route. This isn't to say that the Navy is a bunch of cool dudes that cruise around town, go to luaus, and bask in plastic pools in their backyard with beer in hand (hehe), I believe the Navy's see-going culture lends itself also to a hardcore forward-deployed mentality that it shares with the Marines.

Ofcourse with the Marine PLC option you're going to go to TBS for six months and run around the hills shooting stuff, essentially. If you have a gun collection at home, play first person shooters, and include Full Metal Jacket as one of your favorite films of all time... this is for you! Thats just my humble opinion ofcourse. If you just wanna fly both services are great for it, just requires some research so its good that you're doing that here. I wish you the best and, since I've got first hand exposure to both application pipelines, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Edit: With regard to PPL, everyone seems to have an opinion on this one. this is just my 2c but, if PPL wasn't important, then why is it listed as part of your Navy or MC Application? It may play a very small part (like listing an affiliation with a professional organization), but every little bit helps IMO. If you can show you've dedicated time and money to flying some may factor that in... "May" :p

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Edit: With regard to PPL, everyone seems to have an opinion on this one. this is just my 2c but, if PPL wasn't important, then why is it listed as part of your Navy or MC Application?

It is not on the application/selection sheet for middies (at least when I went through).

To the OP, if you are still out in the fleet, seriously pick the brains of the aviators in your squadron/airwing/etc. I'm sure many of them would be very happy to chat with you and help you along the way. Take advantage of whatever career counseling your command may have, and make sure that you aren't overlooking any good opportunities. I know the STA-21 candidates that I went through NROTC with had a VERY good deal going for them. If you wanted to get your PPL while enrolled in that program, I have no doubt that you would have some spare cash to do so with....I knew several who did. I honestly can't stress that program enough if you are still active duty, and have the means to get in. Like BDCP, it is one of those hidden awesome deals of the Navy.

When I was a middie on summer cruise in '05, I chatted with an airman who had pretty much the same ideas as you. He had actually never heard of the STA-21 program (which really surprised me at the time) and after we talked about it, he went ahead and started looking into it. When I left to go back home several weeks later, I ran into him and he said that he was working on his app. He got in touch with me some time later, and I found out that he had been accepted as an SNA option.....pretty freaking awesome if you ask me! So I guess my point is to use the resources at your disposal, and don't forget to think about all the options that might be available to you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Edit: With regard to PPL, everyone seems to have an opinion on this one. this is just my 2c but, if PPL wasn't important, then why is it listed as part of your Navy or MC Application? It may play a very small part (like listing an affiliation with a professional organization), but every little bit helps IMO. If you can show you've dedicated time and money to flying some may factor that in... "May" :p

It's not on all applications for all officer programs. It's more of an "okay, neat" thing if you have a PPL; no one is going to look at an application and get all excited about a few dozen hours in a C172 and a single-engine ticket. For the "very small part" that it may play in your application process, it's definitely not worth the huge investment. There are many more productive ways to spend all that time and money.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Agreed. Its definitely going to be akin to listing your association with an honor society, or something of that nature, perhaps the rotary. However I'd say that its up to the individual as to whether its worth it or not, and ofcouse that depends on lifestyle, circumstances, career, etc. For me, definitely worth it... loved the flying and had access to a military flying club to learn from experienced instructor's etc. With a "personal bubble" kind of mentality, I'd say any SA you can gain is a plus for you, although the Navy may not weight it very much. If it boosts your confidence, makes you aware regarding issues of airspace, performance, etc. and especially if you have access to Instrument flying, I think it can be a positive thing. I think it varies though, I can see where for some it may not be worth it at at all given the cost... and in the end you'll have to learn the Navy way anyway.

B7RDemonLord

Thank you very much, sirs. :)

In fact, I already talked to a few officers in the air wing and in the G-Dub before and during this year's summer cruise about STA-21, flight school, and whatnot pertaining to officer programs...pretty much, same thing y'all said. I just needed a bit more guidance. That's all.

Oh, and art school and OCS are just some of the alternatives that I took into consideration. I originally wanted to get a science (i.e. math, physics, geology, computer science) or engineering degree (be it aerospace, electrical or computer). Civie flight school? Eh, I'll think about it.