• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Armed Helo

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I've been following the NAAD thread about the dets in Kuwait and what not, but I was curious if there is any new info on how the armed helo concept is coming along. All I can find is stuff on how the helos have been going through testing at Pax River, but are any actually being employed in an offensive role using the new systems suites?

Thanks, school away.

hscs

pilot
Gear is on its way to the fleet -- will be a little while before the new systems are available for operational use. However, there are 60H's and B's out there using very similar systems.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
but are any actually being employed in an offensive role using the new systems suites?

That's been the big issue. With the exception of snipers onboard and whatever -84/HCS-5 has done (and hscs I'm sure could elaborate a bit), offensive action from Navy helos is few and far between. Between the lack of ASE gear and the fact that the head honchos haven't wanted to risk the assets (or don't even know about them), "we" just haven't been called on much in the current theatre(s). There have been some cases of crew-served weapons dating back to GW I and now during CD Ops, but that's about it. No actual Hellfire kills, unless something has happened very recently.

Firehawk

Still no actual Navy Hellfire uses that I know of.

All rounds expended downrange by HCS/HSC-84 have been purely reactionary/defensive. We were NOT employed as an offensive weapons platform.

In every case of AAA or surface to air fire, we turned and ran, unless the shot was near and clear. Let the airstrikes take 'em out from high above.

As far as armed helo, keep using google. I'm sure the news will trickle into magazines and newsletters as they see fit.