• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Cutting Aviation Budget

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Money is finite and this shyte is expensive. At least we are getting some requirements funded.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Also, the plan would buy only 37 P-8A aircraft, instead of 44...

Is that good or bad news for the P-3s. I was still under the impression the MMA was still in the 'pipe dream' phase.

snizo

Supply Officer
The Navy also runs out of money at the end of fiscal years to PCS people .... how shameful is that?

We're not basking in the glory of Reagan's defense budget, for sure....

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
A glimmer of good news in there ... They increased the number of 60Rs they will buy.
Also ... The number of UAVs was cut in half.
ghost

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
If only they would cut the Romeo program and buy a real helo. Too bad the Sierra isnt all that great, even with the armed helo kit. Its sad how politics can screw things up.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If only they would cut the Romeo program and buy a real helo. Too bad the Sierra isnt all that great, even with the armed helo kit. Its sad how politics can screw things up.

What do you think the ideal/real helo is?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
What do you think the ideal/real helo is?

mh-53S-2_large.jpg

I'm not just pandering... :D

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Actually the ideal would be a helo equivalent to the Japanese Kilo. That would cover the HSM and HSC worlds with 1 model. Completely plug-and-play configurable depending on the mission. A removable sonar transducer mounted in the transition section, (as opposed to taking up space in the cabin), cabin that can be configured for any mission with seats that swap out in 2 seconds, ability to swap out copilots in flight, all digital cockpit, automatic approach that is capable of flying the helo down to the deck of a smallboy, PC cards that keep tabs on the systems so if there is an issue you take the card to maintenance to be read, moving map, better engines and more efficient rotors, etc, etc.

Political moves kept any sort of decent movable map out of the Sierra, took away the refueling probe option, better weapons and foward firing guns, etc. Heck they even had to figure out how to remanufacture the sonobouy launchers from the Bravo for the Romeo, and those were one of the stupidest ideas ever. Talk about wasted man-hours. It would be nice to see the platforms that the communities need, actually being produced. Unfortunately though, the Army went through alot trying to get what they wanted, but at least they finally got most of it.

hscs

pilot
Actually the ideal would be a helo equivalent to the Japanese Kilo. That would cover the HSM and HSC worlds with 1 model. Completely plug-and-play configurable depending on the mission. A removable sonar transducer mounted in the transition section, (as opposed to taking up space in the cabin), cabin that can be configured for any mission with seats that swap out in 2 seconds, ability to swap out copilots in flight, all digital cockpit, automatic approach that is capable of flying the helo down to the deck of a smallboy, PC cards that keep tabs on the systems so if there is an issue you take the card to maintenance to be read, moving map, better engines and more efficient rotors, etc, etc.

Political moves kept any sort of decent movable map out of the Sierra, took away the refueling probe option, better weapons and foward firing guns, etc. Heck they even had to figure out how to remanufacture the sonobouy launchers from the Bravo for the Romeo, and those were one of the stupidest ideas ever. Talk about wasted man-hours. It would be nice to see the platforms that the communities need, actually being produced. Unfortunately though, the Army went through alot trying to get what they wanted, but at least they finally got most of it.

So explain to me how a Japanese K would do things like NSW, CSAR, or even just haul 12 people and bags from place to place......... The S was designed for those purposes. And all of those weapons that you are wanking about not having, are getting looked at, and will most likely be purchased under the "Sea Shield" mantra. And while I am a big proponent of a moving map -- your finger moving on a chart with GPS backup still works. HUMS will also be an upgrade. Guess you have never heard of spiral development....

hscs

pilot
They have actually started out with the -60Bs. I think that was some feasability testing. Can be very big brother though -- you can tell exactly when and where you pulled too much torque or exceeded some limit.