• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Deployments

Bernie Kosar

If nobody minds, I would be curious to hear about the “typical” Navy deployments for the current environment. I know that all of this can fluctuate quite a bit, but answers in general terms will suffice. My dad flew in the Navy, but this was quite some time ago, and, at that time, after training, your first sea tour would be 24 months long. Six months would be out and then six months would be on a base; while the carrier would get work done. Apparently, even for the six months “back” the aviators were pretty much still on the boat consistently and did not get to see much of their family during that time. After the 24 months, you would be on base somewhere for two years. Also, for shore duty, jobs would vary. The best job for pilots and NFOs, in his opinion, would be training guys in the RAG, the second best would be training guys in the jet pipeline, and the third best would be training guys at primary.

I've actually done some research about the current environment, but would prefer to hear about deployments straight from guys that are currently flying.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If nobody minds, I would be curious to hear about the “typical” Navy deployments for the current environment. I know that all of this can fluctuate quite a bit, but answers in general terms will suffice. My dad flew in the Navy, but this was quite some time ago, and, at that time, after training, your first sea tour would be 24 months long. Six months would be out and then six months would be on a base; while the carrier would get work done. Apparently, even for the six months “back” the aviators were pretty much still on the boat consistently and did not get to see much of their family during that time. After the 24 months, you would be on base somewhere for two years. Also, for shore duty, jobs would vary. The best job for pilots and NFOs, in his opinion, would be training guys in the RAG, the second best would be training guys in the jet pipeline, and the third best would be training guys at primary.

I've actually done some research about the current environment, but would prefer to hear about deployments straight from guys that are currently flying.

These days, deployments are generally 6 months, although many have been a bit longer since 9/11. A typical first sea tour will be 3 years, so depending on your timing, most people can count on doing two deployments during that tour. Of course there are the series of work-ups that lead up to deployment and they can add up to a pretty good amount of time underway. Lots of options for shore duty after that - too many to list and the "good" ones will vary somewhat by community. Generally things like RAG instructor, weapons schools, VX squadrons will keep you flying and be a career positive tour.

Brett

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Apparently, even for the six months “back” the aviators were pretty much still on the boat consistently and did not get to see much of their family during that time.

I do not believe that squadron attached personnel are on the carrier while it is in homeport. They fly to the carrier after it gets underway and fly back when the ship returns. The squadrons live at an airstation, usually near the ships.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do not believe that squadron attached personnel are on the carrier while it is in homeport. They fly to the carrier after it gets underway and fly back when the ship returns. The squadrons live at an airstation, usually near the ships.

Ship and squadron homeport proximity has very little to do with anything.

Brett

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Also, for shore duty, jobs would vary. The best job for pilots and NFOs, in his opinion, would be training guys in the RAG, the second best would be training guys in the jet pipeline, and the third best would be training guys at primary.

I think it varies from community to community and maybe from pilot to pilot. The FRS or RAG, is probably from a career standpoint, the best way to go. However, in my old community, I think the best would have been the advanced VT's, followed by Primary, then the FRS. IMO, the E2/C2 FRS is like being on constant work-ups. Those platforms are a bit boring from a flying perspective to getting some jet time or whisking around in the little turbo props would be a break in the mundane.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Unless you go to Japan. Here we typically deploy for 2-3 months. Then we are back for anywhere from 1 to 5 months, then back out again. The good part is that we deploy so often that we dont ever do workups. We are always in a ready state. I actually prefer this deployment cycle to being on a boat for 6 months.