• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVY EB-47E Startojets

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Yep neat stuff - FEWSG flew them for a while for training support.

FEWSG become FTRG become FIWC

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NAVY STARTOjets
And STRATOjets, too ... :D

I remember seein' B-47's & B-52's sitting on the ramp @ Boeing Field in the 50's ... dozens of 'em.

There were so many tails, it looked like a 'silver' forest.
:)

B-47 (below left) in a LABS delivery ... a guts balls maneuver, especially for a 'big girl'.

b47labs.jpg
navynb47e532104.jpg

They were flying in Sea Bat exercises as Orange Air along with EA-3 Skywarriors out of Oceana when I got there...pretty cool to see them

Do you think this (right) may have been one of 'em ... or probably not as it's got a TF-34 mounted ???

NB-47E: 53-2104 in US Navy markings. Last assignment US Navy, became a seven engine aircraft with a GE TF-34 engine between
# 1 & 2 engines mounted on the left drop tank pylon. This plane flew into the summer of 1975.

yak52driver

Contributor
I remember reading a comic book when I was a kid about the B-47. I always liked that plane, I think I built a model of it way back when...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
My intro was Strategic Air Command - Bet some of the older crew here saw it in the theatre - Jimmy Stewart, B-36, B-45, B-47, B-50, KC-97, C-119 and C-124 in tecnicolor - What's not to like?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our farm was along a SAC sandblower route. We routinely had B-47s, and later B-52s flying over at 500AGL. As a kid, I loved it!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Our farm was along a SAC sandblower route. We routinely had B-47s, and later B-52s flying over at 500AGL. As a kid, I loved it!

.... saw two BUFFs heading westbound on a North Dakota sandblower route -- we were heading east, roughly 500' AGL as there was nothing on the ground to 'thump' and we were in a 'relaxed' 4-plane flight formation as a result of our "go to Brunswick for lobsters" mode of 'training' ... :)

For the record: the BUFFs were 'significantly' below our altitude ... :D

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
.... saw two BUFFs heading westbound on a North Dakota sandblower route -- we were heading east, roughly 500' AGL as there was nothing on the ground to 'thump' and we were in a 'relaxed' 4-plane flight formation as a result of our "go to Brunswick for lobsters" mode of 'training' ... :)

For the record: the BUFFs were 'significantly' below our altitude ... :D
Yeah, they sometimes got really, really low! While I loved it, my parents and our hogs and cattle (screw the chickens) weren't too keen on those loud and low thundering passes.

Of course to practice and train for the incredible missions they were intended, hugging the ground and being down in the weeds was necessary to any (probably, one-way) 'success'. As in, "train like you fight."

Fortunately, that balloon never went up.... but we came close. And those guys were indeed trained and ready.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Of course to practice and train for the incredible missions they were intended, hugging the ground and being down in the weeds was necessary to any (probably, one-way) 'success'. As in, "train like you fight."

Fortunately, that balloon never went up.... but we came close. And those guys were indeed trained and ready.
Hmmmm ... sounds kinda' familiar. :)

Our SIOP missions probably cost the squadron 1000's of man-hours, both in the air and on the ground. Planning, flying, planning some more, flying, more planning, practice briefings for all crew, all crews actual briefing for the Wing, 4-5 crews 'actually' briefing CNAP staff ...

... and then there was the countless weeks, days, hours w/ the Ordies getting all the paperwork in order, screening 'nuke' individuals, selecting the loading crews, ground school on the nukes, training, training, loading, loading, and then doing it for the Wing and doing it for CNAP inspectors again.

Then more on the ship when we got the 'real' targets ... :)

And in reality, had the 'balloon' ever gone up, I suspect the Ordies would have been slapping the nukes onto the racks while we were manning up and doing tests while we were being pulled/taxied forward for launch.

My B/N and I planned to head for some tropical isle w/ lots of girls rather than do the one-way shuttle into Russia or China. Too cold & tough to work on your tan up there ... :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmmmm ... sounds kinda' familiar. :)

Our SIOP missions probably cost the squadron 1000's of man-hours, both in the air and on the ground. Planning, flying, planning some more, flying, more planning, practice briefings for all crew, all crews actual briefing for the Wing, 4-5 crews 'actually' briefing CNAP staff ...
:)

We were fortunate in F-4s to avoid SIOP. I pitied you guys spending all your 'extra' time planning and training. And it was certainly not a mission I would want to be first in line for. Hat's off to you guys.:)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When I was Nuke Weps on TR that's how I got my A-6 right seat time.....you want to do that practice load at 0200 or 1000? What's the flight schedule look like?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
My intro was Strategic Air Command - Bet some of the older crew here saw it in the theatre - Jimmy Stewart, B-36, B-45, B-47, B-50, KC-97, C-119 and C-124 in tecnicolor - What's not to like?

I went on a spending spree one weekend and got that and Battle of Britain on Blu Ray and watched them both all day. Pretty solid little saturday.