• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Flight Codes

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone have a reference to Navy flight codes, such as 1D1 and whatnot that are put on yellowsheets?

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Look in the front of your log book. All of the codes are listed there, unless of course they have changed the log book format since my day

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Opnav 3710 or 4790 (there's an actual Ops book, too, but I can't remember what it was called. Maybe it was just the SHARP user manual). The actual meaning of the codes changes from place to place, but the general meaning is the same. For example, 2R2 is a scheduled log run. For us in the fleet, it was also a flyoff/flyon. At Primary land, it's an RDO/FITU visit.

KBayDog

Appendix D of 3710 has all the TMR codes you need to fill your time while you wait for your orders.

Edit: But you already knew that, because you are a Naval Aviator ;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now if you smart guys could tell me a way to track down MODEX numbers on the internet for specific BUNOs ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Now if you smart guys could tell me a way to track down MODEX numbers on the internet for specific BUNOs ;)
The problem with that, at least in the fleet, is that MODEX is always changing. I might have a 532 jet that I transfer to another squadron where it becomes 501. I might imagine that TRACOM aircraft might not change up as often, but I doubt if you'll find anything online that's accurate.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fly Navy said:

Hmm...I don't even know if you could do this. The wings have Buno listings, but I'm not even sure they have Modexs for them, since the squadron can change the Modex (within their specific assigned window of numbers). Modexes themselves seem to be assigned with smoke and mirrors, anyway. We had two aircraft numbers in our squadron. We show up to San Diego (Same wing, different station), and the squadron hosting us had the same two numbers. Made their maintainers do a double take when they'd go out to work on a bird, and made us nervous that they'd start to tear apart the wrong aircraft.

EDIT: Brett beat me to it.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can get started here. Seems to be pretty accurate.

edit: sorry, I just re-read the question and I don't know about modex, but you can still waste a lot of time looking up airplanes and seeing their fate!

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Material Control

Fly Navy said:

Find an AZ. They actually have to keep track of that on each individual aircraft.

BUNOs actually change as well as various aircraft are shifted around between squadrons...as for in the training command, however, I'd start at wherever the ADBs are kept...and go from there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or, just make it up. A year from now nobody will know, or care whether you flew in 532 or 530. Might as well get started now on your long career of Navy gun-decking.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are talking about an actual yellow sheet (as in hard copy) it's on the back of one of the pages.

However with the advent of them compooter thingys, it's no where to be found.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Schnugg said:
However with the advent of them compooter thingys, it's no where to be found.

If you are a poor sap who is forced to use SHARP, it'll be in there (breaking down the various meanings of the 3 numbers) or in NALCOMIS, you have to hit F7 to get a list when you get to that part of your NAVFLIR...

That's the only computer locations I know.