• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy G550

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read that too, and I was kind of surprised. There have been rumors/plans for years that -30 was going to get some E-2s for the purpose. Not sure why they thought a one-off like this was the better way to go, but. Wonder if these will be GO-CO airplanes?

Pags

N/A
pilot
VX-20 recently got some nice civ jets to replace the T-2s.

I'd imagine there was some analysis done between this and an E-2. In the current fiscal environment id wager that cost was a major consideration in the decision.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
They are pretty Gucci, I won't lie. As for the G550, it's pretty common to load up similar aircraft with other radars for testing so my guess is budget is probably the biggest driver here.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The G550AEW isn't an off the shelf bird. It's very heavily modified and built up with Israeli avionics. And nobody else in DoD or the USG flies them. I'm not sure I see how that's more cost-effective than transferring a couple of E-2s to the squadron - and Hummers are very good for sea range clearance. We do it all the time.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The G550AEW isn't an off the shelf bird. It's very heavily modified and built up with Israeli avionics. And nobody else in DoD or the USG flies them. I'm not sure I see how that's more cost-effective than transferring a couple of E-2s to the squadron - and Hummers are very good for sea range clearance. We do it all the time.

As a one-off purchase it strikes me a little odd, makes me wonder if there were other factors or requirements at play. Most importantly though, just what do they plan to designate it as? E-12? EC-37? Trump Force Two?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor

Like Flash said, maybe there are some more capabilities than can't be discussed here or we just don't know. That being said, even though E-2s would be great for the job if there's one thing I've learned it's that what may appear to be the easiest and cheapest solution usually isn't. Or it is but you know, different "pots" of money.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a one-off purchase it strikes me a little odd, makes me wonder if there were other factors or requirements at play. Most importantly though, just what do they plan to designate it as? E-12? EC-37? Trump Force Two?

Of interest: the Air Force wants to buy G550AEW to replace the Compass Call EC-130s, and they've designated it EC-37B.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of interest: the Air Force wants to buy G550AEW to replace the Compass Call EC-130s, and they've designated it EC-37B.

That is a little odd, nothing public until this announcement for the purchase. Not sure if that was the plan all a long or just a recent 'good idea'.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is a little odd, nothing public until this announcement for the purchase. Not sure if that was the plan all a long or just a recent 'good idea'.
I've heard rumblings of this before it went public. There's a rationale behind it, unfortunately not one I think is apropos to be discussed here.