• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Health Corps - Dentistry

Arctic_Frog

I've been searching for some info on going back into the military as a dentist.

Background: BUD/S 178, SEAL Team Two (92 to 96), in service from 8/90 to 8/96. Exited as E-5 (PJ/DV) honorably.

Currently finishing my BA in biology, minor in history (GPA 3.97). Will have completed pre-req's for dental school and interested in the Navy scholarship program. Couple questions:
1. Upon acceptance to dental school, submittal of scholarship application (and providing that is accepted), does my time in school count as being in reserves? I believe there are two ways to go with this?
2. Upon graduation from dental school, what is the usual transition?
3. What would I enter service as? I've heard everything from O-1 to O-3.
4. Will I retain my trident? Previous service medals, awards?
5. I've requested information from the Navy health corps website and have yet to hear anything. Any pointers to contact them directly?
6. Answers to anything I haven't asked or insight?

Much appreciated and thanks in advance,

AF

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
1&2: You'll have to talk to a Dental Recruiter for these answers.
3: A good friend of mine is in medical school now and is being paid as an O-3.
4: Hell yes. You earned it, wear it with pride.
5: See if you can find the Officer Recruiter or Reserve Officer Recruiter. You are (I think) in NRD Raleigh. http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/raleigh/opo.htm Give them a call directly. They should be able to help you find the right direction. Also, see if any local colleges are having career fairs. Usually you'll find an Officer Recruiter there to talk to in person.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's officer recruiters who specialize in recruiting docs. Sorry I don't have contact info, but I know they're pretty desperate for some specialties. Best course of action is to pick up the phone and start talking to OR's.

If you're coming in as a new doc, or if the Navy is picking up your ride to dental school, you'll probably come in as an O-1. I wouldn't swear to that, but usually the docs who come in as O-2+'s are experienced docs with a few years under their belts.

You'll definitely retain your medals and pins. Expect to be challenged on it once or twice...I mean, if you saw an Ensign Doc wearing a budweiser, wouldn't you feel obligated to quiz him on his BUD/S class number? Some of those guys think of devices and ribbons as flair; there was an insta-LT doc OISter at Newport while I was there who was asked where he got the Navy Cross. His answer: "At the Exchange, during lunch."

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
3. What would I enter service as? I've heard everything from O-1 to O-3.

New non-prior dentists commission as O-3s with zero years of service (dental school doesn't count for pay). You'll be an O-3E with 6 years.

Not sure how pay works in Dental school, but this blurb from the Navy website leads me to believe you'll be an O-1 inactive reserve during school (no pay, no drill) but get the stipend:

Navy Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) — Receive 100% tuition coverage during dental school, PLUS:

* A monthly stipend of $1,992 to help cover living expenses for up to 48 months
* On top of that: a sign-on bonus of up to $20,000

CAMike

None
Contributor
Arctic_Frog is indeed a patriot. Kudos' to him for serving again, especially considering that he'll make a mere fraction monetarily as he would have in private practice (CIVLANT). We all appreciate your knowledge and service. Thank you.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check out the forums on www.studentdoctor.net. There's a section on military dentistry and also one on military medicine. Some rabble rousing, some good info. PM me if you've got Qs. Good luck.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Arctic_Frog is indeed a patriot. Kudos' to him for serving again, especially considering that he'll make a mere fraction monetarily as he would have in private practice (CIVLANT). We all appreciate your knowledge and service. Thank you.

Then again he'll have the pleasure of occasionally making a Marine cry like a little bitch when he removes all 4 of their impacted wisdom teeth using just a local shot of novacain. That was when I learned first hand what "It will only hurt a little...I promise" really means.

Jesus Christ that was the worst experience of my life. It still makes me cringe when I think about it.

There has to be some level of job satisfaction in all of that for a former SEAL..........

Arctic_Frog

Gentlemen, thank you for the quick replies. I apologize for my absence, however, technical difficulties prevented me from logging on. (requested pword reset 3 times, still no go until now.)

Anyway, I also found these two websites:
http://www.waynesdyno.net/DCHPSP.html
http://www.waynesdyno.net/DCHSCP.html

Reading the differences between the two, they seem similar yet different in terms of how the scholarships are provided. For instance, and providing I'm reading this correctly, one of them automatically activates you as an E-6 and in turn the schooling counts as time in. You also have the chance to get a promotion to E-7 if you make the Dean's list for two consecutive semesters. The other, seems you are placed on inactive reserve and paid a stipend and they pay for school. The time doesn't count. Regardless, I would come in (I think) in both cases as OE-3 with either 6 or 10.

And in regards to making a little girly jarhead cry, well, I think we'd all love to do that... But professionally we're all on the same team.

The monetary aspect, while nice, doesn't take the place of accomplishment, honor, adventure, broadening horizons, etc. Being burdened with $250K debt out of dentistry and still not being a good dentist... I think that and the fact that when I've served 20, I'll still be able to open up a practice, or, just be an associate somewhere. Plenty of options for helping people..

Lastly, @ uncle fester... I think I blew beer out my nose when I read your "at the exchange, over lunch" comment.. Frankly I could care less if they wish to "challenge" me. I've got nothing to hide. And will more than likely keep your comment in mind for future use!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Reading the differences between the two, they seem similar yet different in terms of how the scholarships are provided. For instance, and providing I'm reading this correctly, one of them automatically activates you as an E-6 and in turn the schooling counts as time in. You also have the chance to get a promotion to E-7 if you make the Dean's list for two consecutive semesters. The other, seems you are placed on inactive reserve and paid a stipend and they pay for school. The time doesn't count. Regardless, I would come in (I think) in both cases as OE-3 with either 6 or 10.

I think the key difference is that one is a good program for someone who is already in dental school (the one that makes you active E-6), and one is a good program for someone who hasn't started dental school yet (the one that picks up the full tuition tab and pays you a stipend).

Although accruing active duty time that would allow you to retire earlier sounds nice, you can't ignore the fact that one program will pick up your six figure tuition bill AND pay you a stipend, whereas the other program would give you E-6 pay to live off of and pay for school. Needless to say, I don't think you can do all of that on E-6 pay, so you'd probably be looking at loans.

Best of luck!

Arctic_Frog

I agree, living on and paying for school with an E-6 pay probably wouldn't do it. But am I reading correctly in that you also get housing pay? That would help, but still would be rough. It's a hard choice.. Gain over all time in, but limp through school. Don't gain time in, but have plenty of financing to not sweat anything.

Nice avatar guy... Gotta love paint by numbers!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I agree, living on and paying for school with an E-6 pay probably wouldn't do it. But am I reading correctly in that you also get housing pay? That would help, but still would be rough. It's a hard choice.. Gain over all time in, but limp through school. Don't gain time in, but have plenty of financing to not sweat anything.

Nice avatar guy... Gotta love paint by numbers!

Yeah, you'll rate everything an active E-6 does including BAH. But another thing to consider is you're paid twice a month while I'm sure tuition will be charged in a lump sum per semester. Or at best they'll have some kind of deferred plan that let's you pay in installments, but certainly not monthly.