• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Healthcare??

becks104

Anybody got any insights on Navy Healthcare. I would be going in with a Masters in Health Administration. Any idea what kind of assignments that would bring? Do those in Navy Healthcare typically enjoy it?

As always,
Thanks guys

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
As far as I am aware, people solely assigned to Navy Healthcare aka Navy Medicine, are people who are medically trained.

Edit: After a small amount of research aka Google, I found out that I was wrong.

becks104

They do take my degree because they have to have people to run the hospitals, they offer pretty good incentives and recruit us heavily...I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the culture or job satisfaction.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Think of it this way, you could run a hospital for the Navy or in the civilian sector. In the civilian sector you could have more control where you live, but if you do the Navy side, you could do 20 years, then work in the civilian sector, and draw 2 paychecks.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
HCA...Health Care Administrator

I know of few of them....pencil pushers, bean counters. Of all the folks who work for BUMED, these are probably the furtherest removed from aviation

I am sure some enjoy that type of work....not my cup of tea.

Where are you located? Might pay to give a call to the Admin department of the nearest Naval Hospital and ask questions.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like these HCAs are most likely civilians working for Tricare. The COs of Naval Medical Hospitals are usually Navy Captains with MDs. There is a mix of Active Duty and civilian health care providers (nurses, doctors, resp. therapists, etc). For more info, I have included the link to the NAVY Bureau of Medicine. Who is heavily recruiting you and for what? A civilian or active duty position?

http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/default.cfm?selTab=home

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Na, I'm just speaking of active duty folks. HCA in this context are USN.

Most COs are MDs...but many are Nurse Corp with a few Medical Service Corp folks.

becks104

active duty

They are recruiting me for an active duty position not civilian. 2 years paid as O-1 whle I am getting the degree plus a stipend on top of that and commissioned LTJG upon graduation. The guy recruiting me is the local Medical Officer Recruiter based in Montgomery, AL. I'm not sure why the guy is all over me other than I'm in a top-five ranked program and its supposedly a hot designator (no idea if thats true). I also have no idea where HCAs fit into to the overall picture, but it seems like they are much lower on the military healthcare totem pole then in the civilian world (start at a lower job category). Ideally I would like to end up on a boat or a field hospital or something of that nature...I can sit in a cubicle in the civillian world and although that kind of goes with the territory here, I would like to minimize it if at all possible.