• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Helos or Marines

IrishRed

I was looking around at all the Navy helicopters I had always thought were interesting and ones I would like to fly. I was wondering if it was just Marines the flew the UH-1N Huey's the CH-53E Super Stallions and the Cobras or if Navy flew them too?

I knew, in the Army at least, they use the Huey's for medevac, which is what I'd like to do since i'm very interested in medicine but didn't know if the Navy was the same way or going that way since they are starting to get more into Iraq.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marines only fly Cobras and most of the Hueys. There are some Navy Hueys (used for SAR). Both services fly versions of the 53.

Marine Hueys fly CASEVAC not MEDEVAC-this is mostly semantics but what it boils down to is that the Hueys do it as a secondary mission and dont have big red cross's painted on the birds with no weapons like the Army does.
IF you are into interested in medicine you wont get much exposure to it as a Helo pilot and very rarely do doctors actually fly on the birds. The Corpsman stabilizes the casualty then the bird takes them back to a hospital

pdx

HSM Pilot
Marines only fly Cobras and most of the Hueys. There are some Navy Hueys (used for SAR). Both services fly versions of the 53.

Navy helo students can't select Hueys (they are flown by reserve compenents only). While it is true that we fly 53Es, the mission is very different than the Marine Corps 53Es.

You might want to do some reading about the different missions the communities fly, not just the airframes.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I was looking around at all the Navy helicopters I had always thought were interesting and ones I would like to fly. I was wondering if it was just Marines the flew the UH-1N Huey's the CH-53E Super Stallions and the Cobras or if Navy flew them too?

I knew, in the Army at least, they use the Huey's for medevac, which is what I'd like to do since i'm very interested in medicine but didn't know if the Navy was the same way or going that way since they are starting to get more into Iraq.

I don't think the Army flies Hueys at all anymore (statement made with no research), I believe they were all replaced by the 60.

Navy helos can be summed up as several different versions of the 60 and one version of the 53E. Missions include anti-sub warfare, anti-surface warfare, naval special warfare support, search and rescue, anti-mine warfare, combat search and rescue, logistics (vertrep and vertical on board delivery) to name a few.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I read an article (don't remember what source) a year or so ago that the AF was going to buy several new Hueys to use as trainers. And I think some NG units have some Hueys still lingering, but like Pags, that statement is without research.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Army got rid of all their Hueys but now finds themselves in the market for the LUHX- an new light utility helo to do many of the things the Huey used to do for them.