• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Housing

Shmack

Can anyone tell me about the Navy officer housing. How does it compare to other services housing; and is it worth staying on or off-base? Are the Navy bases privitizing their housing units as the Air Force are; or do they still belong to the government?

MasterBates

Depends on the base.

NAS Corpus and NAS Kingsville are PPV (Privatized) now.

Most of the Navy housing I have lived in was 50's/60's vintage and varied from roach motel, to really nice, just old. (NAS JAX, NS Mayport)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm still in the application process, but was told by my recruiter that you should live off base because they take away your housing allowance if you live on base. The housing allowance is a flat rate and is untaxable. If you find an apartment/home on the cheap, you get to pocket the rest of the BAH. He said he lived on base for his first year of service, and compared it to living in a hotel room.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Milton and Pensacola are in the middle of transferring to a privatized company. The houses don't look spectacular on the outside, but the inside are reasonably nice. The Flag officer housing in P cola looks real nice.
I lived in lemoore base housing when I was enlisted. The houses were not privatized and brand new, but that was a while back in 2000. The housing office there told me that O's would have to stay out in town when they did the complete transfer from old housing to new. I don't know if that actually happened though.
http://www.cnrswhousing.navy.mil/lemoore/Base_Housing/CNP/cnp.htm

Shmack

The problem with the BAH rates these days are the electric and gas bills that you have to pay when living downtown. Since they raised the rates of all the utilities around the country, the cost has tended to be more than the BAH. This can be a problem especially living in the South and having a family; family members tend to use a lot of hot water and like the house cool twenty-four hours a day.

Oakley568

DI$BO
Be careful...PPV housing offices might start charging for utilities. I know South Texas Military Housing here on NAS Corps are going to start charging us around November, but this information was given to us before we even signed the paperwork. It sort of takes the "glamour" (if that's what you want to call it:icon_tong) out of living on base...The whole idea was that you were getting free utilities and didn't have to worry about your safety.

The worst part is...they will start charging the "average" for utilities...so someone that is married with no children (me) will be paying just as much as someone who has like 4 kids and uses a lot more energy (this is just a generalization...but probably holds true in most cases). They will supposedly "refund" people like me and "fine" the others. Oh well, nothing is perfect, and PPV housing isn't all that bad.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Be careful...PPV housing offices might start charging for utilities. I know South Texas Military Housing here on NAS Corps are going to start charging us around November, but this information was given to us before we even signed the paperwork. It sort of takes the "glamour" (if that's what you want to call it:icon_tong) out of living on base...The whole idea was that you were getting free utilities and didn't have to worry about your safety.

The worst part is...they will start charging the "average" for utilities...so someone that is married with no children (me) will be paying just as much as someone who has like 4 kids and uses a lot more energy (this is just a generalization...but probably holds true in most cases). They will supposedly "refund" people like me and "fine" the others. Oh well, nothing is perfect, and PPV housing isn't all that bad.

They average the utilities over a year. They break it down by square footage and other factors. Once they come up with the average then you are allowed 110%. Anything over 110% has to be paid. Anything under 80 or 90% (I think) is refunded to the service member. About 95% of the families on this system stay below 110%.

Heloanjin

pilot
Hard to say if USN housing is worse or better than the other services. Depends on the location. Even on the same base it can vary.

The question may be moot. In many locations there is a shortage of on base housing, so you will live off base whether you want to or not. Atsugi Japan and San Diego are two locations that come to mind that are like that.

I personally prefered to live off base. Made me feel more like I was getting away from work. And when the command is looking for someone at the last minute to come to the squadron, those on base tended to get calls more often or more quickly then those off base.