• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS Pilot Slot Medical DQ

siggs

Hey!

Look, I have looked at past threads about mental health-related waivers, and I have looked at the NAMI, but I still have some questions.

I am a student about to turn 21 and working on a degree in commercial aviation and air traffic management. My GPA is around 3.93 at the moment, and I have about two years before I graduate. However, when I was 15, I went to the ER room for a single episode of self-harm, but it had nothing to do with suicide or anything. I was very young and stupid at the time. I got help with it but never received a prescription for antidepressants or medication. I went to therapy for around three months and have been stable for the past five years. Looking at the NAMI for the diagnosis I got, it says, "The above diagnoses are all CD for aviation. A waiver may be requested when the member has been completely asymptomatic in a "Fit for Full Duty" status for at least one year after completing all treatment. Designated Members are eligible for waiver consideration while on maintenance pharmacotherapy. Applicants will not be considered for a waiver if on maintenance pharmacotherapy. Please see Section 18.7 of the ARWG for full details."

I got an FAA class one medical with it, so I have all the required documentation they need and have been thoroughly examined by around four different psychologists within the HIMS program. With this special issuance medical, I go to a psychiatrist every year and have notes stating I am stable and fit, and this is not a factor for me anymore. Since I have been excellent and stable by every account of multiple psychologists and psychologists for the past four ish years, is there a good chance this waiver would be approved?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey!

Look, I have looked at past threads about mental health-related waivers, and I have looked at the NAMI, but I still have some questions.

I am a student about to turn 21 and working on a degree in commercial aviation and air traffic management. My GPA is around 3.93 at the moment, and I have about two years before I graduate. However, when I was 15, I went to the ER room for a single episode of self-harm, but it had nothing to do with suicide or anything. I was very young and stupid at the time. I got help with it but never received a prescription for antidepressants or medication. I went to therapy for around three months and have been stable for the past five years. Looking at the NAMI for the diagnosis I got, it says, "The above diagnoses are all CD for aviation. A waiver may be requested when the member has been completely asymptomatic in a "Fit for Full Duty" status for at least one year after completing all treatment. Designated Members are eligible for waiver consideration while on maintenance pharmacotherapy. Applicants will not be considered for a waiver if on maintenance pharmacotherapy. Please see Section 18.7 of the ARWG for full details."

I got an FAA class one medical with it, so I have all the required documentation they need and have been thoroughly examined by around four different psychologists within the HIMS program. With this special issuance medical, I go to a psychiatrist every year and have notes stating I am stable and fit, and this is not a factor for me anymore. Since I have been excellent and stable by every account of multiple psychologists and psychologists for the past four ish years, is there a good chance this waiver would be approved?

Mental health waivers are truly case by case basis, that it probably why your answers haven't been found. Each case is going to be different.

Mouselovr

Contributor
My gut says you'll be okay but you'll likely need a waiver. Bring hard copies of everything related to the hospital visit and subsequent psych evals.
You will likely need to do an additional psych eval at MEPS and will absolutely need one for NAMI. The NAMI one is nbd.

I have a couple of peers who were granted waivers for prior temporary med use and plenty who went to therapy. I don't know anyone personally with ER/self harm, but I imagine they'll eval you based on identical criteria of being asymptomatic/no longer needing medical care/surmountable condition.... etc