• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Officer Contract

kfmckay

I have asked a few people what to look for in a military contract, but most are Air Force Officers who told me about what they had to look for. I would like to know from a recent Naval Officer who received a flight slot what I need to make sure that is written in the contract. What is the wording I specifically need to look for to make sure I am going to be going to OCS, receive a commision of Ensign upon graduation and that I will be going to flight school? Also, I want to get my masters in engineering at either the NPS or Purdue. Since I didn't receive any money from the Navy I have heard that they will pay for my masters and possibly doctorate.

red_ryder

None
Dude. They won't try to trick you, I promise. Did you have any specific concerns?

The forms they use for enlistment are the same for everyone. They won't try to slip something in there to make you a SWO or seaman recruit. That being said, you enlist as an E-5 until you commission at OCS, so in case you were about to freak out, that's just temporary, and they'll let you go if you DOR.

There are numerous threads about education benefits and timing in regards to your career; you should browse through these threads or use the search function to help you out. In short, you can get tuition assistance as well as the G.I. Bill.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
KFM,
Step one is to ensure that you're visiting an officer recruiter, not an enlisted recruiter. After that, your job is pretty much going to be convincing him(her) that you're worth putting the time into for an application. You'll discuss jobs somewhere in there. Then you'll take the ASTB, and only when you're putting the final touches on your application will you sign a thing with the designators clearly marked at the top of the form. If you get what you want, yay for you. If you don't, you can walk away or reapply for another month.
As for masters work and such, someone more experienced than I will have to answer that for you.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Dude. They won't try to trick you, I promise. Did you have any specific concerns?

The forms they use for enlistment are the same for everyone. They won't try to slip something in there to make you a SWO or seaman recruit. That being said, you enlist as an E-5 until you commission at OCS, so in case you were about to freak out, that's just temporary, and they'll let you go if you DOR.

There are numerous threads about education benefits and timing in regards to your career; you should browse through these threads or use the search function to help you out. In short, you can get tuition assistance as well as the G.I. Bill.

The enlisted recruiters will try to trick you. But yeah I think the officer side is another story.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy will pay for your master's if you meet the wickets and if meets up with your career timing, and if you get accepted for the program. If you're thinking they'll write that into an initial contract, keep dreaming.

It may be called a contract, but it's not negotiable, and it's the same form for everyone.

Renegade One

None
I'd make sure it clearly states "upon arrival at OCS, this candidate is GUARANTEED a fleet seat in the first F-35C squadron."

Don't let 'em screw with you...get it in WRITING!
:icon_smil