• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy or Corporate?

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
OK, this seems like a really dumb question because I know it really depends on your individual situation, but here it goes...:confused:

Hypothetically, if you were a 23 year old college grad with 1100 hours and the chance to get a commission and fly for the Navy OR accept an offer from an extremely stable corporate operation who would send you to FlightSafety (45k) to type you in a Falcon 2000EX EASy and start you off at ~45k/year to fly right seat with a substantial pay increase starting your second year........ what would you do?

It's a stupid dilemma, but I really am having a hard time figuring out what to do... hopefully one or the other will end up not working out and my decision will be an easy one. Any advice would be much appreciated though, thanks in advance for your input.

-Mike

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Navy. And never look back. But that's what I always wanted to do. Remember, it doesn't mean you can't go back, and with even more experience.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
What we would do has nothing to do with it. The question is, what would you do? Which would you rather do? Do you want to be a military officer?

You gotta answer this...not us.

For my .02 though...that sounds like a nice offer...You really have to answer the above though. What's between your T-shirt?

Navy. And never look back.

This is what I would do....nope...that's what I did...but what did you expect on this site?

RootinTootin

You are failing to acknowledge a distinct difference between civilian flying and military flying. We defend our country, and the way we do that is by flying. In addition to flying, we are officers and leaders. As I see it, civilian pilots are simply that, pilots. You can be the biggest scum bag and be a great civilian pilot, but to be a great naval aviator you have to be an officer. The bar and expectations are set much higher.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Not an easy answer here. Future goals play a big part. Where do you want to be in 5, 10, 20 years? How stable is the company you want to work for? How are the benefits (401K, Health, etc)? Are you ready to join the Navy for 10 years? Do you want to retire in 20? What do you want to fly? What if you don't get it (i.e. you want jets but get E2's)? Are you married or single? I gotta tell you Mike there is just so many things that are different between the 2. I would need more info to try and guide you one way or the other.

Smoke

schwarti

Contributor
I was talking to my recruiter about something similar, and he told me to remember that the private sector will always be there, but the Navy won't want you in a few years if you change your mind. And the private sector will probably want you MORE after you've spent a few years flying with the Navy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, this seems like a really dumb question because I know it really depends on your individual situation, but here it goes...:confused:

Hypothetically, if you were a 23 year old college grad with 1100 hours and the chance to get a commission and fly for the Navy OR accept an offer from an extremely stable corporate operation who would send you to FlightSafety (45k) to type you in a Falcon 2000EX EASy and start you off at ~45k/year to fly right seat with a substantial pay increase starting your second year........ what would you do?

It's a stupid dilemma, but I really am having a hard time figuring out what to do... hopefully one or the other will end up not working out and my decision will be an easy one. Any advice would be much appreciated though, thanks in advance for your input.

-Mike

If you have to ask, I think you have your answer.

Brett

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"

It sounds like a great deal on the civilian side, but if you were to replace United States Navy in Kennedy's quote with anything it would not be airline or civilian pilot.

smumaustin

pilot
I was in the same situation as you, and no question Navy all the way... best decision of my life up to this point, and I am only just starting out.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
You can always go fly corporate when you get out. I spent this morning with a JO bud raging at 550 knots through the mountains on a good deal low level for an hour "just because." How many bombs, rockets, other misc toys are you ever going to drop from a Falcon? How many people want to hear stories of sitting at FL450 with the autopilot on? Get my point? The money is going to suck for the first little while, but if thats your main concern, enjoy calling for lav service and slinging the gear handle.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ask yourself this: Is it just about the money????

Fred

If you earning power is the deciding factor....as an 01 with under two years of service you are going to make around $44,000/yr. (base pay, P'cola single BAH, and BAS). $14,000 of that is tax free. By the time you have been in for four years, you are earning $53,000/yr in base pay alone.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
I have to say I agree with you all 100%... but, who says I can't let this corporate company pay to type me and fly for them for a year, see if I enjoy it or not, and then leave with a 45k type rating under my belt and head off to the Navy and do all of the amazing things civilian pilots can only dream of? I have 4 years before I turn 27. Don't get me wrong, I have over 1100 hours and I've experienced the boring flying corporate pilots endure and I want dearly to do something meaningful with myself while I'm still young.

I know I know, what was I thinking posting this on a Navy forum... but I really do respect yall's opinions and I do want to hear what yall have to say. There is no doubt in my mind about the respect military pilots (especially Navy) command. Regardless, no matter who you are, I'd say you'd have to be slightly insane to turn down a job offer that promises a close to 6 figure income after several years with full benefits and extreme job security. I have the desire to become a Naval Officer and fly as a Naval Aviator, I really do. Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I think all I really needed is a kick in the ass to help me start thinking straight.

I’m taking the ASTB and my physical next week so I’ll keep yall posted.

-Mike