• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy P-3 Pilots Transitioning to UAV's at Beale AFB

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So three P-3 drivers are at Beale AFB undergoing "FRS" on the RQ-4N Global Hawk prior to deploying the Maritime version of the Global Hawk in CENTCOM later this year. I'm thinking these are the first Naval Aviators to transition full time to UAV duty.

So is this an official "career track" / pipeline option?

Anyone want to venture a guess that this will be a growing career path for P-3/P-8 drivers out there?

I'm wondering why the Navy did not use NFO's for this role since the Global Hawk is all about the sensors? How do the P-3 pilots feel about being put into the role of UAV pilot?

IMGP3333lb07%20Global%20Hawk.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who will fly my UAVs?

So three P-3 drivers are at Beale AFB undergoing "FRS" on the RQ-4N Global Hawk prior to deploying the Maritime version of the Global Hawk in CENTCOM later this year. I'm thinking these are the first Naval Aviators to transition full time to UAV duty.

So is this an official "career track" / pipeline option?

The 2 RQ-4N Global Hawks are residual assets fromt he Global Hawk Maritime Demo (GHMD) that resulted in aftermath of withdrwal of funding to RQ-8 Fire Scout (later restored). Global Hawk ultimately won the BAMS (Broad Area Martime Surveillance) competition, but these are not technically those platforms. So will there be an opportunity to "fly" UAVs in Navy? There already is (and has been for years) a variety of UAVs in Naval Aviation (and NSW). Is it an offical "career track" / pipeline option? Not at this point.

Anyone want to venture a guess that this will be a growing career path for P-3/P-8 drivers out there?

Better to look at how RQ-8 Fire Scout, RQ-4, and UCAS-D will be flown as well as the "plethora" of UAVs in use by NSW with more surely to follow.

I'm wondering why the Navy did not use NFO's for this role since the Global Hawk is all about the sensors? How do the P-3 pilots feel about being put into the role of UAV pilot?

Global Hawk is indeed point and click and USAF allows Navs to "fly it" if they have instrument rating (first CC was a EF-111 NAV who served on exchange duty with a Prowler squadron). Regardless, what you're not seeing is the Global Hawk/BAMS "flightdeck" that does have a number of sensor operators who mimick the P-3 flightdeck.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
How do the P-3 pilots feel about being put into the role of UAV pilot?

It will be the day I put my package in for Flight Surgeon...or Army Veterinarian...

I'd rather fly one of those fucking Rocks with Rotors you piloted than a UAV...

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Did you happen to meet a dude callsign Shady or Snady? LOL

Don't remember that being his C/S..... The guy I'm talking about I called him Stringfellow Weiner. He's a history dork (as am I) His initials are CB.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I may have just made this up in my brain, but I thought one of the points of BAMS was that you wouldn't be dedicated to flying the computer for four years at a time. A crew would go out, pilots would rotate between flying the bird and flying the toy... is this anything close to the reality of how this is supposed to work out or did i just dream this up and convince myself it was true?

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I may have just made this up in my brain, but I thought one of the points of BAMS was that you wouldn't be dedicated to flying the computer for four years at a time. A crew would go out, pilots would rotate between flying the bird and flying the toy... is this anything close to the reality of how this is supposed to work out or did i just dream this up and convince myself it was true?

I'm not sure they've really worked all the way through how we'd operate yet, but someting like that... My impression was that a squadron would deploy with P-8s and BAMS and have some operators (both pilots and aircrew) for each. Not sure about "flying" both.

IRfly

None
I could swear I saw an email from the skipper several months ago recruiting FOs for UAV duty...Specifically FOs with PPLs.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I know one of the guys who is doing this. It ain't that cool, he says. The thing really doesn't need a person. It lands by itself (always within 6" of centerline) and can perform the mission entirely by itself. He got sent to do it as an IA. Guess it beats getting shot at.