• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pitfalls and Plateaus

cello10star

I am 90% sure I'm going to Navy OCS this coming year. I have no clue what program is right for me though. I'd love to hear from some current or former officers about the programs they chose and how those have been good or bad, did you get everything out of it you thought you would? was it harder to get that advanced degree or promotion than you thought? without all the spin from advertising videos and recruiters.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
cello,
Welcome to AirWarriors. There are multiple threads on this site answering the questions you've posted. Have a look around, use the search engine and have fun. Any job you select will have its PROs and CONs. You just need to understand the limits of the job. Are there certain communities that interest you?

-ea6bflyr ;)

Renegade One

None
First of all, be 100% SURE that you WANT this. This in not a summer internship while you consider your options. It's a commitment to serve your country for (fill in the blank) years.
Pitfalls? You bet...
Plateaus? You can't imagine...need to experience them to be believed.
Right for everyone? Uh...no.
Right for me? Absolutely. Got MORE than I could ever have imagined when I raised my right hand.
Promotion and higher education? Yes to both, for those who earn them. Some luck involved along the way, but the harder you work the luckier you'll be.
Go back to the first sentence...this program/life/career is for those who want it and have a fire in their belly. If that's not you...leave the slot open for someone else. If it IS you...stand by to accelerate your life.
All the best, R1

cello10star

I see a lot about aviation (not interested), I see a lot about earning a commission, I don't see a lot about what is done on a daily basis or what problems people have had with their career choice. It is difficult to know if you 'WANT this' if you don't know exactly that 'this' is.
Thanks for your friendly welcome.

Roosterj

This might help a bit
Pilots Go Zoom Zoom hoping to drops some Boom Boom

Surface Warfare has two positions, Beating the Drum (that drives the oars) and steer the ship

Intel wonders where everyone is, and why they were not invited to the party

Crypto guys try and figure out what you just told them

Nuke guys want a new job

Don't listen to me, I am a future OCS guy and in no way endorse this message.

NavyAsh

I am 90% sure I'm going to Navy OCS this coming year. I have no clue what program is right for me though. I'd love to hear from some current or former officers about the programs they chose and how those have been good or bad, did you get everything out of it you thought you would? was it harder to get that advanced degree or promotion than you thought? without all the spin from advertising videos and recruiters.

I've already posted this in another thread, but you may want to check out the Navy's site-- it has information on their officer programs.