• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Reserve and Commissions

Mets

I'm a college student that's interested in finding out more on the Navy Reserve. I like the idea of putting in some service for my country, and the Navy seems like a good place to do it. I've read that you can get direct commissions into all of the reserve forces in the military, so I was wondering if anybody could give me some information about the process. I'm an engineering and physics double major, so I don't know where that would put me in terms of units I might be serving in or things I might be doing. I looked up engineering on the Navy reserve site and I found some information on the Seabees and weathermen. The Seabees seem more like the army to me personally, I was kind of hoping for boats or jets. I guess I should mention that I have slight asthma, but I don't see how that would keep me from using a calculator and a computer. Thanks a lot.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm a college student that's interested in finding out more on the Navy Reserve. I like the idea of putting in some service for my country, and the Navy seems like a good place to do it. I've read that you can get direct commissions into all of the reserve forces in the military, so I was wondering if anybody could give me some information about the process. I'm an engineering and physics double major, so I don't know where that would put me in terms of units I might be serving in or things I might be doing. I looked up engineering on the Navy reserve site and I found some information on the Seabees and weathermen. The Seabees seem more like the army to me personally, I was kind of hoping for boats or jets. I guess I should mention that I have slight asthma, but I don't see how that would keep me from using a calculator and a computer. Thanks a lot.

Generally, asthma is going to take you out of the running for aviation, but I don't know if that is disqualifying for other fields. Second, there really aren't any reserve options for new accessions in the aviation community either, as those are for people who have done their initial commitment (8-10 years) on active duty. Recommend you take a look at the Navy's sites and thoroughly peruse this one, then come back with some informed, original questions that we can help you with.

Brett

Mets

Thanks Brett, I'm not really looking at being an actual pilot, since I know I'd get disqualified. I was just wondering if anybody could give me some information about things a person with my background might do in the Navy/Navy Reserve, and how I should go about the process.

snake020

Contributor
I guess I should mention that I have slight asthma, but I don't see how that would keep me from using a calculator and a computer.

[threadjack]

A number of AF commanders are resisting latching on to the new fitness program because they argue that you don't need to run 1.5 miles or have a 40 inch waist to turn wrenches. But others see the bigger impact on readiness, and the service's financial drain for all these guys' medical bills because they're the ones not keeping healthy.

[/threadjack]

Mets

[threadjack]

A number of AF commanders are resisting latching on to the new fitness program because they argue that you don't need to run 1.5 miles or have a 40 inch waist to turn wrenches. But others see the bigger impact on readiness, and the service's financial drain for all these guys' medical bills because they're the ones not keeping healthy.

[/threadjack]

I'm not that pathetic. I run three miles every day and I was a three-sport athlete in high school - cross country, swimming, and track, so it's not like it's ever been that big of a problem.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I'm not that pathetic. I run three miles every day and I was a three-sport athlete in high school - cross country, swimming, and track, so it's not like it's ever been that big of a problem.

Check your PM.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks Brett, I'm not really looking at being an actual pilot, since I know I'd get disqualified. I was just wondering if anybody could give me some information about things a person with my background might do in the Navy/Navy Reserve, and how I should go about the process.

FWIW, the Navy doesn't employ a whole lot of engineer types within the officer ranks. That's what defense contractors are for.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not a lot of Nuke engineers or CECs?

CECs aren't a particularly mainstream community, and if you're referring to nuke SWOs and Sub guys, those aren't discrete communities but subsets of SWO and Sub Os. Either way you look at it, neither of them are really engineers in the way the OP is talking about.

Brett

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
CECs aren't a particularly mainstream community, and if you're referring to nuke SWOs and Sub guys, those aren't discrete communities but subsets of SWO and Sub Os. Either way you look at it, neither of them are really engineers in the way the OP is talking about.

Brett

I hear ya. Didn't know the numbers or really much about those communities, but I met a recent OCS grad who was CEC and my new recruiter is an ex Nuke eng. instructor.