• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy TPS Questions

Rg9

pilot
I'm currently in multi-engine advanced for P-3's and have been trying to get some info on the test pilot route. I know that's a few years down the road, but I'd like to make sure I start on the right path in case I do decide to apply there later.

I searched here and on the NTPS website, but still had a couple questions I couldn't get answers to. Any help from those in the know would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. What should I be doing now (well, right now I need to get winged, I mean in the RAG and first sea tour) to set myself up for the option. I know the IP rating is what I want to get. I also got an MS in Aeronautical Engineering from AFIT before going through flight school, so that's set. Anything else besides just doing well in my job?

2. I know you "fly everything" in TPS. Does that mean that they just teach, for instance, a fixed wing pilot how to not crash a helo so that he can solo? Or do they teach you how to fly it in a dynamic/tactical environment?

3. Regarding the test squadrons after TPS, do pilots always go back to their type of aircraft (i.e., props to props, tacair to tacair, etc.), or is their overlap?

4. After working in the test squadron, how "stuck" are you on the acquisition side, and if you do go back to the operational side, do you always go back to the same community?

Sorry if any of these have already been covered... I couldn't find the answers here or elsewhere. Thanks for the help!

HuggyU2

None
Why not just call out to UNSTPS and ask them? I don't have the number, but I'm sure you can find it. Ask for CDR Van Fleet: he's a former P-3 pilot. If nojoy, try CDR Feddersen. He's the Ops Officer.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
To answer one of your questions, I know of a few test pilots who are back in their operational worlds for DH tours so they didn't get stuck.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I thought the whole point was to take what you learn back to the fleet (after a VX tour of course)? At least that was how TPS was described to me

llnick2001

pilot
I can't say for sure as I am a pretty junior guy who hasn't been to TPS (or really even the fleet for that matter), but in my limited experiences, that's what I've seen.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Yes, the Navy sends its test pilots back to the fleet. Seems like a pretty poor return on an expensive investment if you ask me, but that decision is way above my paygrade.

Rg9

pilot
Yeah, I thought I'd try to get some info here before calling the school with the whole "I'm not winged yet, but am looking at applying and have some basic questions" deal. I do know pilots who went to TPS and then back to the fleet later (current CO of VT-2 is one example). I just wondered how common that was, or if a good portion go to acquisitions (a route I don't think I'd currently want).

To reitterate one of my questions, does anyone know if you always go back to your previous community afterwards?

Again, I appreciate any info for those who may have it.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Yeah, I thought I'd try to get some info here before calling the school with the whole "I'm not winged yet, but am looking at applying and have some basic questions" deal. I do know pilots who went to TPS and then back to the fleet later (current CO of VT-2 is one example). I just wondered how common that was, or if a good portion go to acquisitions (a route I don't think I'd currently want).

To reitterate one of my questions, does anyone know if you always go back to your previous community afterwards?

That is the general career path. There were 2 pilots in my fleet squadron and the CO of our sister squadron that were USNTPS grads. At NSE, the CO and XO of VT-2 are both grads, but before going to TRACOM, they were HSL department heads.
You do get to skip the disassociated tour, and you basically get full credit for doing your VX tour.
For most:
flight school->FRS->JO sea->JO Shore/TPS->VX->Fleet DH tour

llnick2001

pilot
I'd say you usually go back to where you came from. Always, however, is a very dangerous answer. I wouldn't plan on using TPS as a back door into another platform (just incase that's what you're thinking). I have a funny feeling it's frowned upon.

S.O.B.

pilot
Yeah,

One of three things happen 1. You go back to your fleet squadron for DH 2. You make the choice to apply for AEDO, get selected and stay in the acquisitions community full time 3. You fail to screen for DH and either get out or go where you can (more common then you would think).

Disclaimer: I'm not a test pilot but I know how the process works.

Rg9

pilot
Well, if I went to TPS, my motivation would be primarily to be a Test Pilot, not to transition aircraft. However, I wanted to know if that was an opportunity, since I desire to fly a variety of them (i.e., I fly P-3s for awhile, go to TPS, decide I really enjoy helos, want to experience that side of the Navy, etc.).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

hey, I'm with you and though I'm not even comissioned yet I'm planning ahead as well.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of three things happen 1. You go back to your fleet squadron for DH 2. You make the choice to apply for AEDO, get selected and stay in the acquisitions community full time 3. You fail to screen for DH and either get out or go where you can (more common then you would think).

This pretty much sums it up.

O'Brian

pilot
Plenty of P-3 guys go to TPS.

You'll need to be the #1 IP for your fit-rep cycle in most cases and you need to have your package accecpted by TPS. In alot of cases, guys take orders to a different shore command (VPU, VT) while waiting for their TPS package to come through.

Nobody is going to want to hear that you want to go to TPS until you're a PPC, and even then it'll be brushed aside unless you make IP. You have an MS, so you can probably get picked up as long as you make IP.

You'll most likely wind up back in VP as a Dept head if you follow the standard career path.