• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Weighs Options for MOFFETT's Hangar One

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
I went out to moffet field few times to golf and drink with Goob83, who's currently an officer recruiter there, and I asked him what those big buildings were for and he simply said... "blimps." I never knew they were historical... sad if they take it down, but economics seems to run everything so i guess they gotta do what they gotta do.

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
Isn't Hangar One Vodka in there? Or is NAS Alameda and Moffett not the same place?

It's not the same... Moffett is in San Jose, CA... it's actually NASA moffet field now... Goob pointed out bunch of rocket scientists playing golf or hanging out at the clubhouse looking exactly like how I would imagine rocket scientists to look like haha.

Alameda is north of San Jose and south of Berkeley.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The hangar is incredible -- I first visited it one night as an Ensign while hitching a ride coast-to-coast on a P-3. I just walked around, lookin' at the overhead -- mouth open in amazement. See it if you can ... while you can ??? :)

And ... it's MOFFETT (sic). As in NAS MOFFETT, as in RADM Moffett, sometimes known as the "Father of Naval Aviation" ... which is unusual, as he wasn't an Aviator. He's one of the reasons that Naval Aviation is what it is today.

Former MOH recipient for his actions in Vera Cruz, he was deemed "too old" for Aviation, so he qualified as an Aerial Observer. He became the Director of Naval Aviation and lost his life in the crash of the AKRON in Jersey in 1933.

WILLIAM ADGER MOFFETT - Arlington website

WILLIAM A. MOFFETT - Wikipedia

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not to be too much of a nerd, but the hangar was originally built for a zeppelin, and not a blimp, specifically, the USS Macon
Macon_and_Sparrowhawk.jpg

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I remember my dad showing me around as a little kid in the 80s when they still had P-3s at Moffett. The first of many encounters with the P-3. We tried to get in while we were there in September but were told, because of the asbestos hazard, we weren't allowed in. It would make a hell of a space for something like a museum, or anything else for that matter. It really is one of the most impressive structures I've ever seen. It utterly dwarfs anything short of a rigid airship that's parked inside.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Not to be too much of a nerd, but the hangar was originally built for a zeppelin, and not a blimp, specifically, the USS Macon
Macon_and_Sparrowhawk.jpg
I always liked the squadron trapeze insignia...except for the thongs and fat ass cheeks

Macon.Insig