• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NC Storms

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Interesting night here last night. Had a tornado rip through fairly near the house, seriously messing some houses up. Luckily, there were no reported fatalities (yet), and only minor injuries. There were a few leveled houses, a couple completely obliterated trailer parks, and scores of trees that looked like someone used det cord on them.

A friend down in Jacksonville (I think it was the New River tower that reported the funnel in the first place) had a tornado spawned by the same cell rip through <200m from his house. He lost the top of a tree, but no other damage.

If anyone's in the area and needs help cleaning up or a place to crash, give a shout. It's not like I actually do anything all day.

81montedriver

pilot
There was a tornado that touched down about 5 miles from where I live. Knocked down a whole bunch of trees and powerlines. Luckily my neighborhood was not affected. If anyone in the New Bern area got affected and needs any help let me know.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm assuming you saw the damage on 70 by Catfish Lake Rd and immediately across from it?

The wife and I were watching coverage on channel 14 (until our power went out), and they were kind enough to tell everyone that said tornado was cutting through near the airport. So we were pretty complacent...until my wife heard the damn thing and our dogs started freaking out. Grabbed the munchkin everyone headed into the laundry room at the center of the house for about half an hour. My daughter didn't even twitch the entire time.

81montedriver

pilot
Yeh the damage near catfish lake rd was what I was referring to. I'm about to get another look at it on my way to work this morning.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
jollygreen, if you're familiar with the area, the tornado rolled through right by Catfish Lake Road, which is a few miles east of Havelock, proper.

Apparently Tarawa Terrace (Lejeune base housing) got schwacked pretty good as well.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
22 dead was the last official count that I'd heard. I saw pictures of that Lowe's that suffered a direct hit yesterday. Crazy stuff.

One of the houses hit nearby me was just gone about 5 feet over the ground. There were a few feet of vertical left over top of the foundation, and then just nothing.

I wonder what a tornado would do to one of the mud walled structures in Afghanistan? Tornado gun, anyone?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
jollygreen, if you're familiar with the area, the tornado rolled through right by Catfish Lake Road, which is a few miles east of Havelock, proper.

Apparently Tarawa Terrace (Lejeune base housing) got schwacked pretty good as well.

Yup. Lived there 95-05. Grew up on Catawba rd, right off base.