• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Neat footage from a Rafale demo.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Very good looking aircraft. Yes, the music sucked. Any of our resident strike/fighter types fight it?

WALI_1980

+1 on the video....It's a good one.
Music ain't that bad either (If you actually understand the language:icon_wink)

Thanks.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Is there any particular reason why American fighter engineering has by and large steered away from canard control surfaces? I had seen a couple of experimental air craft used for NASA that had them, but never seen even proposed designs by American firms to produce an airplane that has canard control.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Is there any particular reason why American fighter engineering has by and large steered away from canard control surfaces? I had seen a couple of experimental air craft used for NASA that had them, but never seen even proposed designs by American firms to produce an airplane that has canard control.
How many fighter aircraft have we ordered in the past 15 years? Superhornet, Raptor, Lightning. Now if Burt Rutan were designing fighters for Lockheed or Boeing, that would be a different story.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Well I figured it might be a function of so few aircraft being ordered, but Ive never seen an American firm design one for a competition even. I was just curious if there was something about the characteristics of canard control that keep American designers away from it.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Well I figured it might be a function of so few aircraft being ordered, but Ive never seen an American firm design one for a competition even. I was just curious if there was something about the characteristics of canard control that keep American designers away from it.
Carrier suitability is nil. The B-1 does have a canard. The engineers did not design one therefore not necessary of applicable to the designed aircraft. Also, I do not know if vectored thrust doesn't have something to do with it. It may also have radar cross section implications. The canard in fighter aircraft simply is the "tail" ahead of the wings.

Clux4

Banned
If the Navy ever started a stealth fighter program again, that might be a concept. But then again the F-35 might be it!

Statesman,
It would be interesting to see what the engineers have to say.

BENDER

pilot
I thought this was actually a interesting question. I am curious of what some experts have to say, especially the dynamics at high mach numbers. I did some interent research, "The message seems to be clear: the selection of a canard vs. a tail is both configuration and mission dependent". I would like to see some research data, if any one can find it.

[FONT=TOMOCC+ArialMT]http://www.aoe.vt.edu/~mason/Mason_f/canardsS03.pdf[/FONT]

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Aeronaut...2008/3/canard-overall-efficiency-compared.htm

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I think a couple of those guys ripped out of Jax last month...pretty good looking birds. That thing looks ridiculous cramped compared to the bugs and superhornets i've looked at.