• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need Advice on What route to take to be a JAG

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
Lately I've been considering going to Law School and joining the Corps. I have a lot of friends in the military (all branches) partially due to being engaged to a marine, so they all have there $0.02 to put in. I've talked to 2 OSO's and 1 enlisted recruiter. Every recruiter has their own style and recommendations as to what to do so I thought I'd ask some other people what route they thought I should take or what route they did take. I'm thinking PLC-Law but there are other ways so I thought any suggestions would be considered.

I already have a Master's Degree at this point so I could, if I wanted to, bypass Law School all together and just join and of course my other half want s me to be a pilot, he's obsessed with aviation, but I've wanted to go to Law School for about 4 years I just never wanted to practice in the civilian world and I thought that military wasn't for me when I was younger. I've turned a new leaf on that thought, obviously, and think I'd be really good. So any suggestions on what is best?

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."

jchase01

Already being an attorney and having many friends that joined JAG, I would think about holding off on joining any branch until you get through law school. You just never know what will happen and what you may or may not end up liking. All my friends who are in JAG love it and enjoy what they do but they are all glad they waited until 2nd or 3rd year to sign on to the military.

Good luck!!

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
I have been thinking about going to law school once I am finished with my current advanced degree. I have no experience with JAG really, but I've heard from friends who are attorneys and who've worked with JAG as interns or are in the corps right now, that it is best to wait before making a decision. They all suggest doing an internship with JAG during the first or second summer of law school.

Crowbar

None
sirenia said:
it is best to wait before making a decision.

If you've already decided you want to be an officer, by waiting you give up those 2-3 years of seniority you gain by joining before law school.

Some (don't know about all) law programs commission you before you start law school. I don't know about pay, but your TIS/TIG clock starts ticking and runs through law school if you do it that way.