• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need advice

SetSail

I am a college freshman this fall and am strongly considering applying for the NROTC College Program. Can anyone tell me how competitive it is to earn a 3 year scholarship? Are college allotted a certain number of 3 year scholarships? :confused:Thanks for your help!!!

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
College program itself is not super competitive to get in to the NROTC unit. All that is required is that you submit the required application to the unit you desire and the CO signs off on it.

Regarding 3 yr scholarships, I have seen everyone get one who had at least a 3.0 GPA and wasn't a total screwup. They are competed for at a national level or they can be awarded by the CO at the unit.

I would recommend getting in touch with the unit you are looking at ASAP as there are caps on enrollment at schools. For example, we have 65 incoming freshman so far and our cap is 70 so there are only 5 slots available.

Good Luck

SWCS242

SWO in-training
I am a college freshman this fall and am strongly considering applying for the NROTC College Program. Can anyone tell me how competitive it is to earn a 3 year scholarship? Are college allotted a certain number of 3 year scholarships? :confused:Thanks for your help!!!

You could also try looking at the BDCP route after 1 or 2 years of college depending on your major. In BDCP you don't have to do all that ROTC stuff during college.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
You could also try looking at the BDCP route after 1 or 2 years of college depending on your major. In BDCP you don't have to do all that ROTC stuff during college.

On the other hand, if you do NROTC you won't have to do that SUYA stuff AFTER college. :D

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I received a 3 year from our unit CO. He has 1 that he can give out at his discretion each year of which does not go to the national boards however, it does abide by the same criteria. At the time it was deemed a "leadership scholarship" but i don't know if they still call it that. Basically, the unit staff acts as the board - so make good grades your first year and don't be a dumb ass, and that could be a possibility for you as well.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator

It's probably pretty competitive, as it should be. You have to prove yourself as a member of the unit, physically (PT standards), and academically. It's not impossible. I would say that about 50% of my graduating unit class picked up their scholarships after Freshman year. Call the unit at your college to get the ball rolling. The sooner you communicate with the NROTC unit, the better.

SetSail

Thank you all!
I am also wondering whether College Programmers are treated differently from the Scholarship Winners. Is there usually a perking order?

Lobster

Thank you all!
I am also wondering whether College Programmers are treated differently from the Scholarship Winners. Is there usually a perking order?

I don't think they are everyone is treated equally in the unit. Of course according to rank. get a hold of Blackbearhockey on here, he was both a college programer and is now on scholarship.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thank you all!

No, not unless you are a $hitbag, and then you would be getting treated differently anyways. To be honest (and this is only in my personal experience), the kids that came into my old unit w/ scholarships as freshmen on average had a tougher time w/ grades and everything else than the college programmers did. I chalk it up to immaturity, and not feeling like they needed to put in the extra effort since they already had the scholarship. Either way, you will prove yourself one way or another in your first couple of years in the program regardless of program status. Ample opportunities existed for both scholarship mids as well as their college program counterparts. Just do your best, try to make the impression that you care and want to be there, and the rest will fall in place. My personal advice is not to get too bogged down w/ extracurricular activities during your freshman year until you have some decent grades under your belt. Try and take calc and physics as soon as possible....this will help you pick up that scholarship. I saw quite a few classmates die trying to "look good" doing half a dozen unit and school related activities while their grades went to hell. In the end, I really don't think big Navy cares a whole lot past what your graduating/selection GPA is, and for aviation what your ASTB might have been. Focus on the essentials, and get involved in other areas when you have the time.

SetSail

I just got my class schedule and I'm certainly going to have to hit the books hard: Calculus, Chemistry, Biology, and Spanish. The only extracurricular club that I'm interested in doing right now is the NROTC Sailing Club. Thanks to all for your advice!!!

gotta_fly

pilot
I knew three or four huge turds that got scholarships as sophomores, so (at least at my old unit) the standards weren't super-high. I'm still baffled by it, but I suppose it bodes well for you since you seem to be a performer. Oh and WRT to NROTC vs. BDCP, you'll have more free time without ROTC, but why not take advantage of 3+ years of professional development opportunities? Good luck and let us know how it works out!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It seems as though in our unit as long as your GPA is above 2.5, you pass your PRTs consistently, and stay out of serious trouble you'll get a scholarship. As for the Leadership Scholarship (which I got about a year and a half ago), that's much more competitive, but if you do well in your classes, participate more, and show the unit staff you really want to be in this program I don't see how they'll seriously consider you for it.