• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

need help/advice

6pack

hey I am currently a freshman in college and I have decided that I want to be a pilot in the Marine Corps. Over the summer I have went to MEPS, filled out my PLC-OCS application and took the ASTB. My OSO recently told me that they lost my ASTB scores and that I should go ahead and switch to PLC-ground so I can get accepted to OCS for this summer, and then if they find the scores or after I take the test again he will help me get switched to PLC-air when he can. Is this a good idea or does it sound like he is trying to get his quota filled? I dont want to get screwed and get stuck in ground after OCS. Any information and advice will be greatly appreciated.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I am not a Marine, but I have been around the Navy for over a decade, about half enlisted. While your scores may have been honestly lost, I would not take the advice of a recruiter who is obviously using pressure tactics to get you to commit to something you don't want.
It was the same when I joined the Navy. Guys who had crappy ASVAB scores weren't guaranteed an A school, but they were told to go ahead and sign, that they would probably be able to pick up an A school in boot camp. Not one of those guys in my boot camp company got the school, but now they were committed to the life of a deck seaman at least for the next 2 years.
DON'T DO IT unless that is what you want. I would also suggest you talk to other recruiters. If you are hard over on being a Marine, try to go another route.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Advice for the future: Retain photocopies of anything that may be pertinent to your future career options. Do not trust 'them' to not lose anything.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^ what he said

My BS meter is pegged. They just happen to lose the ASTB scores and then see if you'll take the bait and go Ground instead. Yeaaaaaaaa, I don't buy it. Tell your recruiter no thanks for the offer and thank him for allowing you to take a real ASTB for practice. Now, go back and kick ass on ASTB the second time around. You know what to expect now and know how to prepare even better for it.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
My OSO recently told me that they lost my ASTB scores and that I should go ahead and switch to PLC-ground so I can get accepted to OCS for this summer, and then if they find the scores or after I take the test again he will help me get switched to PLC-air when he can.

You can join the military and let them push you around all you want...don't let them do it before they are paying you. (Don't mean to sound overly negative, I love it, but they do in fact tell you what to do.:icon_wink )

I concur with above BS meter statement.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Keep in mind the fact that you've got plenty of time... Being a freshman means you can wait and still pursue the PLC option, or eventually go through OCC. Different name, same results. While it is not usually difficult to switch contracts pre OCS, things can and will happen. If you're that set on an air contract, wait until you can get one before signing anything.
Also, there always is the possibility that something will happen that might force you out of your air contract and into ground. Injuries, medical issues, and other things can result in an air contract getting yanked. I'm currently in API and have seen guys get switched for not being physically qualified, failing IFS, failing at API, and a number of other reasons. If flying is your sole interest, the Marine Corps may not be the best option. Just something to think about. Either way, good luck with the OSO...

6pack

thanks guys for all the advice its been really helpful and do any of you know info about navy aviation