• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need help

justinmcknight

Ok so I am gonna start college this next semester and my dream is to become a pilot by anymeans. Ive been trying to read up on it as much as i can so i wouldnt have to ask = / but having not so much luck. I plan on getting my bachelors in avionics and Ive already started the process of getting my pilots licenses. Is there anything else i need to have a leg up to getting a position as a pilot. I was told taking rotc and getting a batchelors is a plus. And i here its alot harder to get a pilot spot in the navy but i dont know how true that is. Any help would be amazing please. Hope i dont gett thread flammed for being a noob lol

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, you came to the right place. Just to spare you from getting flamed, search around here first, your questions have been asked and answered.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I would look into ROTC a little more in depth since you are just starting college. You will need a bachelors degree to be a pilot in the Navy, so pick a major you will enjoy and get good grades in (most important). Study hard and enjoy college.

Proper grammar is always appreciated.

PSU3333

None
And be prepared that even though you may think you covered all your bases, you still may not get a Pilot spot. I had a pilot spot, which became an NFO spot when I checked into API. We hadn't started classes or anything, so the decision was based on needs of the Navy at that time rather then performance.

dlynes

I do not know much about it, but I would definitely look into BCDP or whatever the program is so that while you are in college, you can commit to the navy, have them pay for your school, receive health and dental then upon graduating forfill requirements by commissioning.

Immy

I would say definitely look into BDCP and ROTC...both potentially very lucrative deals that give you a commission.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok so I am gonna start college this next semester and my dream is to become a pilot by anymeans. Ive been trying to read up on it as much as i can so i wouldnt have to ask = / but having not so much luck. I plan on getting my bachelors in avionics and Ive already started the process of getting my pilots licenses. Is there anything else i need to have a leg up to getting a position as a pilot. I was told taking rotc and getting a batchelors is a plus. And i here its alot harder to get a pilot spot in the navy but i dont know how true that is. Any help would be amazing please. Hope i dont gett thread flammed for being a noob lol

The obvious paths are:

USNA
NROTC
BDCP
OCS

At your stage, you've got what you have for first two, but can still help yourself for acceptance in second two. Getting a PPL is less advantageous (Navy assumes by acceptable ASTB score that they can train you and would rather you not have bad habits so they have to retrain you). They are looking for a whole person with athletics, leadership, community service, etc. So save yourself some money and get involved, but first talk to an Officer Recruiter about your options.