• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need Some Direction...

apper76

I have done quite a bit of digging around the internet regarding becoming an officer in the Navy, but, due to some time constraints because of work, need a little more help.

I have just turned 23, about a year and 3 months removed from college, and am currently working as a paralegal in New York City. I had a 3.6 GPA at a pretty decent school with a B.A. in History and a B.A. in Government.

I know the initial step is to take the AVSB test and I believe I should be able to do pretty well on it since I'm solid when it comes to taking standardized tests.

Firstly, while I realize there are many other factors, is it a possibility that I can become an officer? Secondly, which direction should I go in if I am successful? I am not looking for a career in the military. Honestly, it is something I have always wanted to do but never could see myself doing for the rest of my life. So, with that in mind, which job would be best suited to prepare me for a solid career when I would leave the Navy?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Firstly, while I realize there are many other factors, is it a possibility that I can become an officer? Secondly, which direction should I go in if I am successful? I am not looking for a career in the military. Honestly, it is something I have always wanted to do but never could see myself doing for the rest of my life. So, with that in mind, which job would be best suited to prepare me for a solid career when I would leave the Navy?

Firstly?, Yes, you can become an officer. Now, if you want to...that's something completely different. And "want" is an objective word. Being an officer is more than a job. You can't ever NOT be an officer once you're on and you lose a lot of freedoms that civilians are accustomed to.

Secondly, the direction you go is based on what you want to do AND what the Navy needs you to do. There are many different options availible...you're on a Naval Aviator Forum, so I'm sure you'll see that aspect of things. But the best thing to do is talk to an officer recruiter...he'll have a better idea of what job in the service is going to match with your own personal desires.

Be very careful about saying that you'll use the Navy as a career-builder...because that's not what it's about. You'll piss off a lot of people along the way that write your evaluations (written at least once a year, usually more). Furthermore, you'll betray the tradition of what being an officer is about...and ultimately, I'm afraid that if your heart isn't in the job and what it stands for, you'll hate your time here (which will be a minimum of about 4 years, no matter what you do).

So you've heard it here before...do some soul-searching and figure out if you're really willing to give time and effort, 24/7/365 to a job/lifestyle that you think you'll really only use for selfish reasons (no offense intended, but you're talking about service to the Navy IN ORDER TO build your resume).

Hope that helps.

~Dan

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
If I may add to the commentary, the only real way to begin once you have decided to start the process is to contact an officer recruiter. www.navy.com can help with that.

The process is extremely involved and time consuming, and I honestly believe it helps as a weeding out process. You will need to do everything yourself, so you will know if you truely have the motivation or not. For some tips on what the life at OCS is like, a little about the jobs, and for additional information on a broad range of positions, you can visit the Navy OCS site at www.usnavyocs.com

If you would like to try the Navy on for size, you could consider the option of the Navy Reserve as an enlisted person for a couple years.

pdx

HSM Pilot

Some people feel negatively about non-career oriented officers. However, the truth is that the majority of officers will not stay until retirement. The rank structure is actually designed that way.

Aviation requires a good deal of motivation, and the committments are long because you spend so much time in training. There are other communities, however, that are not that way.

The only community that I have first hand knowledge about is the Navy Supply Corps. Many people join the Supply Corps with the goal of staying 4 years, possibly getting the Navy to pay for their MBA, then getting out. It can be good for the Navy and good for you. You get a steady paycheck for 4years, some very unique and valuable leadership and management training, while the Navy gets your services for about 3 1/2 years. The current Navy recruiting commercials even focus on what you can take fromt the Navy to the civilian world. Granted they are mostly focused towards enlisted personell, but the same can apply to officers.

The Supply Corps is good for people who want to pursue management jobs in business (big or small). If that isn't your cup of tea, there are other fields such as Medical Service Corps, various restricted line communities such as HR, admin, etc. There is also the chance to be a SWO or submariner and get broad leadership experience that way. I don't know much about these communities, but it might give you a starting place for research.

I wouldn't go around telling people that you just want to do 4 years and get out, but it is not a dishonest or dishonorable plan. If you serve honorably while you are in, that is all the Navy really asks.