• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Needing some general advice on path paving.

syizm

Hey,

I'm interested in becoming a pilot. I was wondering if anyone can offer some general advice for a just-enlisted guy like myself. Excuse me if I get a little long winded, here.

First, a little info on my situation. I just turned 21, I've been in the Navy for about a year. Right out of a boot camp I went to Pensacola, to NASC, and did the whole Aircrew/Rescue Swimmer thing down there - so I figure, from that aspect, even if only marginally, I've a better shot at picking up some sort of comission down the road than a boatswain or something. I'm still down here. I'm a little familiar with the API program, OCS, and what is required of pilots - I'm confident I'm physically and mentally on that level, I'm just lacking a degree.

Obviously, I'll be needing a bachelors.

Do you guys have any advice as to what type of degree to get to up my chances at being picked up for a slot?

Also, what, generally, would be a good way to earn a comission?

Is there a way I can get picked up into one of the STA-21 programs? (not exactly familiar with the ins-and-outs of that!) My HS transcript is, perhaps a bit below par, but satisfactory. I'd be more heavily relying on my ASVAB and ACT scores (94 and 30 respectively.) to get me into something, and what little prior service I have. Any advice here, perhaps more than anything else, would be greatly appriciated. (I probably should have just went to college after HS instead of enlisting! D'oh!)

I've always wanted to stop and bug one of the pilots down here (NAS Pensacola) and ask them, but it seems rude todo that. Good thing I found this website.

Thanks,
Tom

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Tom,

Firstly, welcome.

There's a bunch of good gouge on getting commissioned in the Commissioning Sources forums (accessable through the home page).

Get your degree in something you'll be interestd in and can do well at. There are some limitations, but I can't detail those for you.

As far as how to get your commission, that depends on your person. Browse around here and talk to an officer recruiter or someone at your command. STA-21 is a good way to go.

Anyways, good luck and hope all goes well.

KBayDog

syizm said:
I've always wanted to stop and bug one of the pilots down here (NAS Pensacola) and ask them, but it seems rude todo that.

That's not rude. That's called using all of your resources. You'll never be in another place where folks in all stages of aviation training are in one place.

Now, I wouldn't bug one that is walking "smartly" with a pen and clipboard, or one who is tooling around in a govvie with an enlisted driver, but no pilot/NFO/SNA/SNFO (or any officer, for that matter) will mind that you are showing an interest in career development. Don't be nervous about asking - many of us on this board are prior-enlisted (or currently in commissioning programs), and wouldn't be where we are now if it weren't for some good officers who took just a few minutes to get us pointed in the right direction.

Good luck, and search around this site - there's a lot of great information (and a lot of experience) on this forum.