• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Aircraft Pilots

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
I have asked a lot of guys in my command about this, but they don't seem to be too "experienced" in this situation. When the Navy introduces a new aircraft, such as the JSF, I would think that the first pilots (once they establish squadrons) would consist of more senior Aviators. Is there a general timeframe that would have to pass before they started training newly winged Aviators in these new aircraft? Thanks in advance for your responses.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Some of the Rhino guys could probably chime in on that one, but I THINK that once an aircraft enters operational capability, the transition goes by squadron. Therefore, you will have junior and senior guys transitioning at the same time. Initially, when standing up the FRS, etc, it will be fleet aviators.

hscs

pilot
From the MH-60S intro, the FRS stood up first and trained senior pilots to serve as aircraft commanders and brand new pilots fresh from Whiting Field and sent them to the first squadron to transition. Some pilots (usually those with the most time left at the command) at that first squadron to transition changed over to the 60S and others left to do other things. Can't speak about how other communities have done it.

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
From the MH-60S intro, the FRS stood up first and trained senior pilots to serve as aircraft commanders and brand new pilots fresh from Whiting Field and sent them to the first squadron to transition. Some pilots (usually those with the most time left at the command) at that first squadron to transition changed over to the 60S and others left to do other things. Can't speak about how other communities have done it.

Oh ok. I see how that works. Thank you both for your comments.

snake020

Contributor
I have asked a lot of guys in my command about this, but they don't seem to be too "experienced" in this situation. When the Navy introduces a new aircraft, such as the JSF, I would think that the first pilots (once they establish squadrons) would consist of more senior Aviators. Is there a general timeframe that would have to pass before they started training newly winged Aviators in these new aircraft? Thanks in advance for your responses.

That's more of an air force thing.

phrogpilot73

The way they've done it with the Osprey was that they took senior and experienced pilots and transitioned them to be instructors at the FRS. After that, they take an entire HMM squadron, decomission it and train the entire squadron (nuggets all the way to WTIs), and then send them out into the world.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The way they've done it with the Osprey was that they took senior and experienced pilots and transitioned them to be instructors at the FRS. After that, they take an entire HMM squadron, decomission it and train the entire squadron (nuggets all the way to WTIs), and then send them out into the world.

Essentially the same model for the G model Hornet transition from Prowlers.

Brett

blackjack_rj

Alpha PHlyer
Essentially the same model for the G model Hornet transition from Prowlers.

Brett

See I was thinking about that too, but would that mean they would have to take experienced Hornet pilots and switch their platform to the jamming side? I guess what I am trying to understand (in terms of choosing pilots for the Growler) is if there is more emphasis on Hornet pilots learning the "jamming system" or if it is more the Prowler pilots learning to fly the Hornet, if that makes any sense at all. Is it even the same system between the two platforms? I don't know too much about the Prowler. Is anyone on here slated to fly the Growler?

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
//threadjack//

Cant stand the avatar

Yes I know we got our arses kicked

//end thread jack//

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
See I was thinking about that too, but would that mean they would have to take experienced Hornet pilots and switch their platform to the jamming side? I guess what I am trying to understand (in terms of choosing pilots for the Growler) is if there is more emphasis on Hornet pilots learning the "jamming system" or if it is more the Prowler pilots learning to fly the Hornet, if that makes any sense at all. Is it even the same system between the two platforms? I don't know too much about the Prowler. Is anyone on here slated to fly the Growler?

It's not due to hit the fleet for another 2-3 years, but we already have a cadre of Prowler aircrew that have gone through the SH RAG and are readying the program for the first squadron to convert over. There will essentially be two tracks within VAQ-129 (Prowler RAG) - one for each aircraft, since we'll continue to fly some Prowlers until ~2015. Those going to G squadrons will spend some time down in Lemoore at VFA-122 (SH RAG) to learn to fly the new jet, then come back to Whidbey for the systems/tactical portion of the syllabus. I suspect that new studs won't know what platform they're getting until they show up at 129.

Brett

hscs

pilot
Did the squadrons transition even the people that had less than a year to go, or were those people extended? Just would seem like a waste to transition a guy who was only going to be around for another couple of months.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Did the squadrons transition even the people that had less than a year to go, or were those people extended? Just would seem like a waste to transition a guy who was only going to be around for another couple of months.

Using the V-22 as an example, the guys who have been board selected for it have been getting 4-year obligations.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So there will be Growlers based out of Whidbey‽
Agree with Brett's emphatic YES! on this ...

BUT: to my surprise, my "sources" are telling me the P-8 will NOT be NUW based ... going to Mugu instead ... ???? If so ... politics rule, once again.

No P-8 in NUW ??? Going to be lots of Whidbey teeth-gnashing amongst the local $$$ civilian community, if true.